Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well crap! So much for them shipping the new pre-orders at the end of the month! Mine just shipped...I hope I'm still home when it gets here.

Well crap! So much for them shipping the new pre-orders at the end of the month! Mine just shipped...I hope I'm still home when it gets here.

Did you call them and ask them to hold it?
In my experience with them I get a shipment notification several hours before Fedex picks it up. It is probably not too late to get them to hold it for you if you need them to do that.
Strike while the iron is hot!

@rebjak23, @dragonwithane, @Jim Welch , Did y'all order the new pre-order red kits or in stock kits from previous releases? I ordered the new ones and have not gotten any notice of shipment.
No, I'm waiting until after the summer heat has passed. I just do not trust Fedex, had some shipments just sit in linbo this past fall and winter due to covid I guess. Once bitten, twice shy! Fortunately those shipment were not perishable things and they eventually showed up. Plus I bought up Wine Expert kits starting late winter into early spring for that same summer heat reason. I don't even want my traditional wine kits sitting in a truck in the summer. That was before these Finerwines came out or at least before I knew about them. So I now have 8 kits waiting to be made at home.
BTW, fresh out of high school I loaded truck trailers by hand and let me tell you trailers get insanely hot and not just in the height of summer.

I should add I do not want to, nor am trying to discourage others from ordering now or over the summer. I trust the FW packaging to do what they say but Fedex in my area is a crap shoot. YMMV

@rebjak23, @dragonwithane, @Jim Welch , Did y'all order the new pre-order red kits or in stock kits from previous releases? I ordered the new ones and have not gotten any notice of shipment.
Yes, I ordered the Syrah. Just finished getting it all setup. I failed to plan properly and didn’t have a large enough fermenter ready by the time my order showed up at the house. Had to split it into two smaller buckets so it doesn’t overflow since I also ordered the double skins.

I should add I do not want to, nor am trying to discourage others from ordering now or over the summer. I trust the FW packaging to do what they say but Fedex in my area is a crap shoot. YMMV
Yeah FedEx is hit or miss lately. Luckily I live less than 200 miles from Label Peelers and it arrived the next day after shipping.
I will say that the packaging was great. Kind of like when you order from Omaha Steaks or other frozen meat online retailers.

My Zin is fermenting nicely and smells great! One bag of skins is very generous and enough for my needs. I have one innocent question and am not trying to cause trouble, just looking for ideas. What do we do with all the styrofoam coolers?

My Zin is fermenting nicely and smells great! One bag of skins is very generous and enough for my needs. I have one innocent question and am not trying to cause trouble, just looking for ideas. What do we do with all the styrofoam coolers?
It seems like a waste to throw them out right away. I typically save them and use them as disposable coolers for beer if I’m going to a summer picnic or something that BYOB.

Same concern here - wonder if they reuse or set up a return system? Personally, I would gladly pay a little extra to not contribute to that environmental problem.

I was not ready for mine to show up yesterday. So, I put the juice and skins in the fridge and will kick this one off on Saturday.

Also, is it me… it’s listed as a Petit Syrah, but the body of the description for the wine spells it differently - Petit Sirah. And it’s most times spelled Petite Sirah. What’s right? Or do we just say Durif and call it a day???

Last edited:
"Petit Sirah" is the accepted spelling in the US. I agree: if we changed to "Durif," (and the metric system) like almost everyone else, it would be easier!

Durif - Wikipedia
I like the Durif idea but it will never change, just like Zinfandel will never be called Primotivo. But here to just say that "Petite Sirah" is the accepted spelling in the U.S.

Latest posts

Back