Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my kit EMs, the skins don't typically sink until about 2 weeks in (when fermentation has reached sub 1.000). Makes sense. The same holds true for my FW kits.

I didn't try an EM with the two kits I have going, but snapped the lid and airlocked the wine at about day 8 or 9, and sloshed the wine over the skin bags 3 times a day to keep them from drying out. At two weeks, I opened them up and punched the skins down before taking a final SG. They didn't come back up again and my SG was about .996. I waited a couple more days and nothing changed, so I moved on to the next step.

I have been making kits for several years of all varieties and price points. The Finer Wine kits are actually less expensive than most. I just ordered a Bordeaux Blend double-skins with labels and a Sauvignon Blanc with labels for $203 total delivered to my door; that's less than what I'd spend on one high-end kit.
I just ordered two of the Bordeaux Style kits. I got them with only one skins pack (each) and plan to add 2C of currants and well as some wine tannin and make them as a double batch. With the skins and shipping to Central TX it was $205. Yes, I have spent that much on one high end kit more than once. For reference one high end kit from LP usually ships for around $34. Shipping for two of these was $41. Plus you get a free cooler!:p

I would stop opening the fermenter as you approach 1.000 SG. You can slosh it around after that point to keep the skins from drying out on top. At some point they will eventually sink on their own.
That’s exactly what I’m doing. My fermentation went almost a full week, about 6 days. I used one of those heating bands around the bucket. I live in Long Island NY and we had a very hot week so the AC was on. Did not want it to get stuck if too cold. I’m going to let it sit in the bucket, with 2 skin packs, and not open. Just slosh it around to mix. Letting it sit in the bucket for a total of 2 weeks. Smells so good!! Can’t wait to have a sip of this Zinfandel!!

You think 4 weeks is ok to sit in the bucket? I was just going to do 2 but would do longer if you think we would get a better result.
Yes, just make sure it's sealed and under airlock. Or split the difference and go for three if you're not confident at this point.

Planning to take the plunge on one or two of these kits and just want to see if anyone has concerns about shipping during current summer temps?

I think that is highly dependent on how far you are from Twinsburg OH where the shipment will originate. I'm in Delaware which is not too far, first two took 4 1/2 days to get to me, second two took 2 1/2 days. I read somewhere that these packages are supposed to be OK for up to a 7 day shipment. If they used UPS I wouldn't hesitate but sometimes Fedex ground is not as reliable in my experience. I am not going to order any more until mid to late September, I just do not want to take the chance. YMMV

I think that is highly dependent on how far you are from Twinsburg OH where the shipment will originate. I'm in Delaware which is not too far, first two took 4 1/2 days to get to me, second two took 2 1/2 days. I read somewhere that these packages are supposed to be OK for up to a 7 day shipment. If they used UPS I wouldn't hesitate but sometimes Fedex ground is not as reliable in my experience. I am not going to order any more until mid to late September, I just do not want to take the chance. YMMV
I had the same concern when I ordered the first one. Emailed LP and Matt replied (within the hour) with the following.

"Phil,

Thank you for your pre-order. Yes, that would be perfectly fine for TX going Ground. Ground to TX is only 3 days and we designed the cooler system to last 7 days in transit. Furthermore, since they are so high in sugar, they can actually be at room temps for several days before there are any issues.

Have a great day!

Matt Pruszynski"

Temperature is always a concern when shipping to TX but based on Matt's response I wasn't worried and it was fine. I did not get a temperature reading on the kit and was able to put it right into production. It was still cool but by the time I added the water and let it sit overnight while the yeast started, it was room temp by the next day when I pitched.

You know if your going to make wine from base and fpac why not add grape packs to all the styles including the whites just wondering?

I just ordered two of the Bordeaux Style kits. I got them with only one skins pack (each) and plan to add 2C of currants and well as some wine tannin and make them as a double batch. With the skins and shipping to Central TX it was $205. Yes, I have spent that much on one high end kit more than once. For reference one high end kit from LP usually ships for around $34. Shipping for two of these was $41. Plus you get a free cooler!:p
Same here, I have spent $275 + shipping for a Mosti Mondiali Amarone kit with skins and raisins. And had to pay a bit more for the labels.

That's my experience as well, and it's frustrating. I live in Everett, WA, about halfway between Seattle and Bellingham. I see Fedex planes at our local Paine Field airport (next to the Boeing plant) all the time, but in spite of that, Fedex shipments seem to have to go from here to their hub in Seattle and then to Bellingham before they deliver here. I have had some shipments (not my recent FW shipment, thank goodness) ride back and forth along the I-5 corridor for days before they're finally delivered.

The same thing happens if it's Fedex Ground. Once it arrives at one of the regional hubs, all bets are off.

I cringe when I find out that something I've ordered is coming Fedex. I wish FW could use UPS instead.

Wayne

I want to order the Super Tuscan but I'll be leaving town for a week next Sunday (father's day). Any idea how quickly they are shipping kits out?

I want to order the Super Tuscan but I'll be leaving town for a week next Sunday (father's day). Any idea how quickly they are shipping kits out?
Super Tuscan is in stock so I would not risk ordering that right now, you likely get it in time but then you have to make it before you leave (unless you have room in the fridge), no one is there to punch down the skins or any fpac you might add. So I would not order that one right now unless you want to confirm by email or phone that they won't ship it to you till you are back.

But if you are flexible about kit type you can just order one of the ones which is on pre-order and expected to ship at the end of June, lots of good red choices there, some not generally seen like Petite Sirah, Barbera, Bordeaux Style, Syrah (all from California grapes).

Super Tuscan is in stock so I would not risk ordering that right now, you likely get it in time but then you have to make it before you leave (unless you have room in the fridge), no one is there to punch down the skins or any fpac you might add. So I would not order that one right now unless you want to confirm by email or phone that they won't ship it to you till you are back.

But if you are flexible about kit type you can just order one of the ones which is on pre-order and expected to ship at the end of June, lots of good red choices there, some not generally seen like Petite Sirah, Barbera, Bordeaux Style, Syrah (all from California grapes).
I was thinking about the Bordeaux. I do have plenty of space in my keezer, but I don't want to chance not getting it before I leave or one of my kids not being here should it arrive.
I looked at the other new reds also, but honestly I just don't know any of them other than the Bord. Maybe a good reason to order one of them!

When I ordered my second two kits I called them first and asked if they could hold an order until I got back from vacation, didn't want to risk the Zinfandel I wanted selling out. Not a problem I was told, they held it until the Tuesday after Memorial day for me. Give them a call and ask them to hold it until a later date.

Latest posts

Back