Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bmd2k1, expanding on @Gilmango's post, yeast use oxygen for reproduction. Yeast reproduce slower in an oxygen deprived environment, which is why it's better to ferment in an open container.

Fermentation, yeast eating sugar and emitting CO2 and alcohol, is anaerobic. Yeast does not need oxygen to eat. Folks talk about aerobic and anaerobic fermentation when they are actually referring to fermentation in an open container vs. in a close container.

New winemakers typically don't expect biology and chemistry lessons when deciding to make wine ... 🤣

We’re chugging along nicely. Wines are finished fermenting and are clear and degassed for the most part (another run through the AIO should pick up the residual co2). I dropped the oak cubes and added a medium + toast French stave to each the Merlot and Cab. They are tasting quite good for their youth. Topped off with a commercial merlot and will leave then nap for six weeks.

From there we’ll rack and bottle.

Well as detailed as the handbook is that came with this kit, I still managed to miss a step. Somehow when I got to the point of activating the yeast, I thought it was very strange to just let it soak in water for 18 hrs before putting it in the juice. Did it anyway, yeast & water. The next day I added it to the bucket and left it alone for a day. Next day I noticed very slow start to fermentation, but finally after day 2, all bubbling away. SG finally hit 1.06 then added the nutrient pack. Then I noticed another packet on the table. This was supposed to be added with the yeast (sugar packet) I guess it didn't need it anyway. looking good so far. Today it hit 1.02 SG, so I added a teaspoon of Firm-O and put it under airlock for a 2 week EM. Then I will squeeze the skins & transfer to the carboy....

Well as detailed as the handbook is that came with this kit, I still managed to miss a step. Somehow when I got to the point of activating the yeast, I thought it was very strange to just let it soak in water for 18 hrs before putting it in the juice. Did it anyway, yeast & water. The next day I added it to the bucket and left it alone for a day. Next day I noticed very slow start to fermentation, but finally after day 2, all bubbling away. SG finally hit 1.06 then added the nutrient pack. Then I noticed another packet on the table. This was supposed to be added with the yeast (sugar packet) I guess it didn't need it anyway. looking good so far. Today it hit 1.02 SG, so I added a teaspoon of Firm-O and put it under airlock for a 2 week EM. Then I will squeeze the skins & transfer to the carboy....

All the packet does that goes in with the yeast and water is help it get started, I assume it is mostly GoFerm or a similar product to give the yeast a good healthy head start. I did not miss that step and it took off fermenting like gang busters, but no harm to skip it.

I do have to question the addition of Ferm-O at such a low SG, the yeast really don't need any extra at that point and are generally considered to not be able to use them, so they end up left in your wine. I would caution to be extra careful about sanitation having added extra nutrients at that point, it may be okay, just not generally something suggested after the halfway point of fermentation. (or about 1.050).

Understood, I will leave the Firm-O out on the next on. So far this kit is best best one I've seen. Looking forward to the 6mo tasting but will prolly leave it in the carboy for about a year.

I think the packet is yeast nutrient, and maybe something else, I'll check the documentation, I think I read it there.

BTW, my Zin kit is going well, already at 1.001! I'm doing extended maceration, so Ill put it in the carboy later, after the weekend.
It's air-locked, so I don't expect any problems.

Edit: Snapped down the lid and it's still bubbling once every 2 sec., so I might have been wrong on SG, probably something to do with the skin bags, I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Understood, I will leave the Firm-O out on the next on. So far this kit is best best one I've seen. Looking forward to the 6mo tasting but will prolly leave it in the carboy for about a year.
From what I've read and heard in the Finer Wines videos, there are seemingly at least three things in the yeast starter pack: a Go-Ferm type yeast rehydration nutrient, some kind of acid blend (they spoke of getting the yeast acclimated to the ph of the wine), and some little bit of sugar to actually get the yeasts reproducing and ready to hit the wine/must running, there could also be some Fermaid O type yeast nutrient. I think that you'd be fine with or without the yeast starter, but the founder of Finer Wines emphasized how important a strong start to the fermentation is to avoiding bad results. In many kits you wait 1-2 day to see an active ferment (when you pour the yeast on with no yeast starter, with or without rehydrating for a few minutes first), if you do the yeast starter you probably cut 12-24 hours off of that. It is not a big deal if your sanitation is spot on, but if there is any competing yeast or microbes in the wine/must then the quicker ferment by your chosen yeast is a big boost.

I got 2 yesterday chard @ Riesling.
Last night started the process this morning added the balance of the chems and yeast .
Add ,oak tannins to the Chard@ lemon Zest to the reisling..
Their both in fermentation tubs with towels covering.
DONE

I got 2 yesterday chard @ Riesling.
Last night started the process this morning added the balance of the chems and yeast .
Add ,oak tannins to the Chard@ lemon Zest to the reisling..
Their both in fermentation tubs with towels covering.
DONE
Is the Riesling designed to be dry? I know you can ferment to dry but just wondering if that is how the kit is setup.

Yes you can make it dry mine will finish out semi dry.
Visited them this evening and fermentation is at full boil. YA.

Yes you can make it dry mine will finish out semi dry.
Visited them this evening and fermentation is at full boil. YA.
Some months back I was aiming for a dry Riesling and was having trouble finding one that was "designed" to be dry. Most were off dry or semi dry. I settled on a WE Liebfraumilch which is a blend of Rieslings. I did not add any citrus zest to the must and fermented dry. No back sweetening. When we bottled it a couple of months ago it was very tart (acidic). We tried it again this weekend and the tartness had settled down some. My wife liked it and she is the real white wine drinker so I guess I'm good. I'm just thinking about the next batch and maybe trying the Finer Wines version.

I did not add any citrus zest to the must and fermented dry. No back sweetening. When we bottled it a couple of months ago it was very tart (acidic).
This makes sense, when we consider the kit has higher acid to balance the sugar. Since your wife likes it, so it's a win!

Kits are designed to produce a specific outcome, and (for better brands) designed well. The drawback is that trying to produce a different result may not work.

FYI, Winexpert markets a dry Riesling:

https://winexpert.com/product/riesling-california/

Kits are designed to produce a specific outcome, and (for better brands) designed well. The drawback is that trying to produce a different result may not work.
That was exactly my concern and why I did not add any zest. The Liebfraumilch was classified as dry but I couldn't tell if that was the retailer or the manufacturer who was making that claim. Finer Wines says theirs can be enjoyed dry or sweet so I'm a little skeptical.
I typically add zest to whites but is there a tweak that will temper the acidity? Or is time the cure-all I need? It was markedly better after just two months in bottle.

Finer Wines says theirs can be enjoyed dry or sweet so I'm a little skeptical.
If the kit is optimized for dry to off-dry, it may work. If the range is dry to sweet, I'm skeptical.

I typically add zest to whites but is there a tweak that will temper the acidity?
How much acidity will the zest add? I would not expect much.

Cold stabilization (cold crashing) will cause the wine to drop excess tartrates as crystals. Chill the wine to 32-40 F for a week, then rack before it warms up. If there is excess tartaric acid, it will precipitate. This was standard practice when I fermented Finger Lakes NY white juice, as 99.9999% of the time, acid was high.

Or is time the cure-all I need? It was markedly better after just two months in bottle.
Time changes wine, sometimes drastically. With the exception of H2S and oxidation, time is our friend. Try a bottle every couple of months and record notes. Unless your memory is a LOT better than mine, record notes. After 6 to 12 months, review your notes.

Latest posts

Back