Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey will wait for starting until tomorrow, tonight my wife and I are going to see three old fart bands in concert - REO Speedwagon and Styx with Loverboy: Live and Unzoomed. This marks the fourth or fifth time I have seen REO in concert and third for Styx.

'Nothing to see here kids, just go about your business! ' A bit too low key for me, I even went to the last AC/DC concert (5th time)!

@Matteo_Lahm
Whatever LP did on the Super Tuscan they shipped me a week ago was great. It arrived cool (around 50F). The two previous FWK I had shipped were both received warm (near 70F). The previous kits were also shipped independent of one another so a similar shipping process must have been followed. Additionally, the two previous kits were shipped when the weather was significantly cooler. Not sure what was done different in the shipping process this last time around but it made a huge difference in the receiving temperature. BTW, I live in TX and when LP ships on Monday, I receive on Thursday, so three days in transit. Obviously if LP follows the correct process, the integrity of these kits is not compromised on a three day transit to hot a$$ TX.

Please pass this on to LP management as it might be helpful in staff training.
I am in TX too and my FWK deliveries have almost always been 4 days. I track them on a FedEx app and see that when they are picked up from LP facility in the afternoon it’s 4 days. The one time it was 3 it was picked up in the morning. Either way I have not had any issues with the kits even when they arrive at near room temperature. Im also pleased that Mateo and LP are tracking the shipping process with an eye towards improvement.

'Nothing to see here kids, just go about your business! ' A bit too low key for me, I even went to the last AC/DC concert (5th time)!
Saw REO back in the day although Ten Years After, Allman Bros and the Stones were more my vibe. Now days my taste runs more to John Prine, Lyle Lovett and Cowboy Junkies. Does that mean I’ve matured?

Never mature, I'm sticking my forefinger out and thumb as well as my tounge! Again, not my bands
I have been listening to AC/DC since 1976 (Bon Scott era). My Dad Took me to a record shop and said "Pick out something you want", no idea, but the cover looked cool (Dirty Deeds), never looked back (I was like, ten!) I started looking at the A's. Sometimes your mind says 'Yeah, that's the one!"

Last edited:
Learned a lesson today about FWK skin packs. Always sift through them and check for "bonus items". Unfortunately I didn't do this on my last couple batches. This is what I found today when I was pressing the skins... fence tie. No idea how I missed it when I was loading the muslin bag.

Maybe it added some mineral flavors. 😆

Attachments

• 20220604_125356.jpg
    20220604_125356.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
tonight my wife and I are going to see three old fart bands in concert - REO Speedwagon and Styx with Loverboy: Live and Unzoomed. This marks the fourth or fifth time I have seen REO in concert and third for Styx.

I saw Loverboy and Dokken in California back in 1986 (I think). Great show from what I can remember.

My kits arrived last week and were still thick with slushy cold juice. I prepped the must on Wednesday and dropped yeast on Thursday. By Saturday, they were foaming like crazy and almost exceeded the height of the fermenter. Took a gentle touch to keep them from foaming over. They've been chugging away with no problem since.

What showed up at my house today courtesy of FedEx?? A Forte Zinfandel and A Forte Sryah. Ordered during the BOGO sale. Shipped out Wednesday late in the day, arrived today in their nice foam packaging, still kinda chilled, even though the temp has approached 80 F around the middle states of America these past few days. They will wait for starting until tomorrow, tonight my wife and I are going to see three old fart bands in concert - REO Speedwagon and Styx with Loverboy: Live and Unzoomed. This marks the fourth or fifth time I have seen REO in concert and third for Styx.
I've seen REO, Styx, and Loverboy a few times at our local M3 rock festival. Also have seen Night Ranger, Winger, Tesla, Kix, Firehouse, Stryper, Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Ratt, Journey, Queensryche, Skid Row, Great White, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Dokken, LA Guns, Nelson, and Extreme about 8 times each. My hubby has been going to the show since the first year (since the second year for me) and we have really seen amazing talent. After ten plus years of going, though, some of these bands have lost members, some of their members are in rehab, some are fighting and won't play together, and some can't sing any longer so it has started to be less fun. I am happy I got to see Queensryche with Geoff Tate before they broke up, and Ratt when they were briefly back together. Journey puts on a great show, even with a new singer.

The concert was pretty good, only really irritating part was the venue has changed how you get into it and it took about 45 minutes to get to a parking spot, previous concerts there, it was more like 10-15 minutes. For some reason, they left the best turn-off for 2 lanes of Uber drivers. I didn't see one car go down those lanes. Grumble, grumble (first world problem).

Loverboy was rough for the first two or three songs, but the last five or six they found their groove, they are essentially the same bunch of guys they have always been, less the bass player. Styx put on the show you expect them to, very tight, less improvisational interludes. They have two members from the original group and brought out a third to play 2nd bass on a few songs. Lots of energy, sounded really good and nearly the same as the originals.

REO played the same show, I think I have seen three times now. All their big hits, I think they have one guy from the original and he is the keyboard player. The others have been around since about 1990, but aren't the originals. All in all a really good concert.

One winemaking note from the concert. They were selling bottles of wine for a somewhat high mark-up, but they put them into plastic carafes you got to take home. My wife and I snagged two of the carafes from folks around us, who didn't have the thought - "Those would be great to take to the pool!!!" Amazon, Ikea, et al sell them for about $4/carafe.

The concert was pretty good, only really irritating part was the venue has changed how you get into it and it took about 45 minutes to get to a parking spot, previous concerts there, it was more like 10-15 minutes. For some reason, they left the best turn-off for 2 lanes of Uber drivers. I didn't see one car go down those lanes. Grumble, grumble (first world problem).

Loverboy was rough for the first two or three songs, but the last five or six they found their groove, they are essentially the same bunch of guys they have always been, less the bass player. Styx put on the show you expect them to, very tight, less improvisational interludes. They have two members from the original group and brought out a third to play 2nd bass on a few songs. Lots of energy, sounded really good and nearly the same as the originals.

REO played the same show, I think I have seen three times now. All their big hits, I think they have one guy from the original and he is the keyboard player. The others have been around since about 1990, but aren't the originals. All in all a really good concert.

One winemaking note from the concert. They were selling bottles of wine for a somewhat high mark-up, but they put them into plastic carafes you got to take home. My wife and I snagged two of the carafes from folks around us, who didn't have the thought - "Those would be great to take to the pool!!!" Amazon, Ikea, et al sell them for about $4/carafe.
Lead singer - Kevin Cronin is from the original band makeup :cool: (albeit...not the "pipes" he had in the 70s/80s)

I'm hoping Pine Knob has those carafes!!! :)

Cheers!

Lead singer - Kevin Cronin is from the original band makeup :cool: (albeit...not the "pipes" he had in the 70s/80s)

I'm hoping Pine Knob has those carafes!!! :)

Cheers!

Actually, he didn't join until the third album, then left for two and came back again.

I was tending wines this afternoon after a fun day of meetings/work sessions, and decided, "Dang! I need a glass of wine!"

While debating, I saw a bottle of Chardonnay all by its lonesome on a shelf. The batch produced 5 bottles of sparkling and 25 bottles of still wine, and I print labels in sheets of 6 ... meaning this bottle has no label. I wrote a "C" on the top of the cork with a Sharpie. The idea is I'll open it first, in a month or three.

But the bottle looked soooo lonesome sitting there by itself. So different personalities conducted a debate: "It's not ready to drink." "Says who?" "It's your wine, drink it if you want!"

The first personality lost out. The wine looks good in the glass, and the taste is MUCH better than when I bottled. 2+ weeks ago the wine was muted on the tongue -- that is far from true today. This one is a winner!

Back