Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7.9 gal bucket with gasketed lid that I purchased from label peelers. It seems to seal good. Any idea if they seal well enough for extended EM? Now I'm second guessing myself.
More detail for my last post -- for EM, seal the fermenter with the SG between 1.020 and 1.010. Press the lid down firmly all around, and ensure the grommet or drilled stopper and airlock are firmly seated.

Shake the fermenter -- the airlock should bubble, as the active ferment expels CO2. If it's not bubbling, then worry that it's not sealed. As I stated above, air will take the path of least resistance, so if there's a leak, that's where the air will escape, not the airlock.

I have a Chard. on the counter, with a book under it (for a low spot), and a Concord grape / apple (last of my 100% juices). I just have to get going, and RACK them!

So what's y'all's favorite flavor FWK so far? Yes it's still "early" but curious on what the consensus is so far.
The only one in the bottle is a no-skins Tovala Barbera. I've got Forte Super Tuscan and Rhone blend (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot) in barrel, 5 months old. both are very good so far. Tavola Chardonnay will be bottled next month. My son's Tavola Riesling will also be bottled next month.

All of the above are very different, and like Craig said, whatever I'm drinking at the moment.

Interestingly enough, the Super Tuscan and my home-blended Rhone are neck in neck -- The Tuscan is ahead by a nose, but the Rhone is not far behind it.

The only one in the bottle is a no-skins Tovala Barbera. I've got Forte Super Tuscan and Rhone blend (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot) in barrel, 5 months old. both are very good so far. Tavola Chardonnay will be bottled next month. My son's Tavola Riesling will also be bottled next month.

All of the above are very different, and like Craig said, whatever I'm drinking at the moment.

Interestingly enough, the Super Tuscan and my home-blended Rhone are neck in neck -- The Tuscan is ahead by a nose, but the Rhone is not far behind it.
That Rhône sounds good! I just put a blend in my 15 gal flextank: 4% Cab Franc (frozen must), 30% Forte Merlot and 66% Forte Cab....

SGKM - I think you said something about a 30L Spiedel so you would have plenty of headspace. Stirred up a Forte Petite Sirah yesterday and it came all the way up the neck and about 4mm from overflow before it stopped. Today I added the nutrient and it was okay, so what.

I’ve had the Bordeaux ( one skin pack) in bottle for two months and opened one this weekend. Good thing I made a double batch.
At about 7+ months these single skin kits are really there. My Forte kits are just -BAM- right out of the fermenter, year or 2 should be something else.

SGKM - I think you said something about a 30L Spiedel so you would have plenty of headspace. Stirred up a Forte Petite Sirah yesterday and it came all the way up the neck and about 4mm from overflow before it stopped. Today I added the nutrient and it was okay, so what.
I've never had an issue with my 30L (7.9 gallon) Speidel foaming over. Sounds like you had a crazy foamer on your hands.

Latest posts

Back