Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the Malo fermentation do for the FWK wine. Make it smoother? Just starting out and am curious.

What does the Malo fermentation do for the FWK wine. Make it smoother? Just starting out and am curious.
MLB (MaloLactic Bacteria) transforms the harsher malic acid into the milder lactic acid, in a process called MLF (MaloLactic Fermentation). This softens a harsher acidic bite, softens and improves mouthfeel, and in some wines (notably Chardonnay) produces a buttery flavor.

MLB is finicky -- it wants nice surroundings (temperature, low SO2, nutrients) and transforms only natural malic acid. If a must is dosed with manufactured malic acid, MLB won't touch it. From what I read, there are several processes happening, but all are dependent upon the malic --> lactic transformation, so if a wine does not contain an amount of natural malic acid, nothing happens.

Kits are supposed to be balanced in acid, so MLF is not necessary. Additionally, if the natural malic is low, MLF does nothing.

@Sheā€™sgonnakillme plans to test this with 2 FWK red kits, dosing one with MLB, to see if there is a difference. There is discussion in this thread:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/thre...n-2022-from-finer-wine-kits.75080/post-818386
IMO it's a great experiment!

I am for sure doing this little Mlf experiment, just need to get the six wines I have in primaries now into clearing to free up some more equipment. Good grief, 13 wines in the works now and itā€™s becoming a real ā€œjobā€ to stay on top of them lolā€¦. I have no idea how some people manage 20+ wines at a time!

I have no idea how some people manage 20+ wines at a time!
Sometimes you don't. I learned the hard way to limit the number in production at once. Surprisingly enough, it makes more sense to do less batches of larger size -- same amount of wine, less disorganization.

Moved the Forte Bordeaux blend into a secondary after 3 weeks in primary. Last week got a little crazy at work and there was no time. Still, the final gravity is 0.095, which jives with my theory that dissolved solids play a role it original and final gravity readings. It started at 1.105. It is dark and delicious.

The Bordeaux blend is on oak, topped off in the carboy and will sit for 3 months till I rack it again. Just because, I felt the urge to add 3/4 of a spiral in with the supplied oak cubes.

Then, I moved the FWK Tavola Barbera. Itā€™s a mellow, smooth wineā€¦ like well-stewed fruit. Iā€™ve never had a Barbera before so Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s the proper flavor profile. The finer lees and oak were compacted on the bottom making for a very clear wine. It will also sit another 3 months, then into the bottle we go.

While I was down there, I moved a WE Nebbiolo. Like the Barbera, the Nebbiā€™s oak and fine lees were tightly compacted at the bottom, making for a clean racking. Itā€™s ready for the bottle now, but I can wait. Iā€™m a little low on Bordeaux bottles right now. Plus, it had a good bit of CO2 foam, itā€™s due at least one more vacuum racking before it goes under cork.
E662E1B2-4FBB-4BDA-94ED-FBCE829092B7.jpeg

Last edited:
I concur -- a 6 gallon fermenter is going to produce "interesting" results - visualize Mount Vesuvius in purple. Use at least a 7.9 gallon primary fermenter.

@three_jeeps, while this is not your first rodeo, I suggest following the FWK instructions as written, which will be a 2 week ferment/extended maceration. You will not be displeased with the results.
Thank you. Yes, makes sense. Active fermentation will overflow a 6 gal bucket. Off to buy a larger one.
After I checked out the contents in the kit, it also makes sense that MLF would not be needed, as the kit components are balanced with the grapes.
thanks again.
J

MLB (MaloLactic Bacteria) transforms the harsher malic acid into the milder lactic acid, in a process called MLF (MaloLactic Fermentation). This softens a harsher acidic bite, softens and improves mouthfeel, and in some wines (notably Chardonnay) produces a buttery flavor.

MLB is finicky -- it wants nice surroundings (temperature, low SO2, nutrients) and transforms only natural malic acid. If a must is dosed with manufactured malic acid, MLB won't touch it. From what I read, there are several processes happening, but all are dependent upon the malic --> lactic transformation, so if a wine does not contain an amount of natural malic acid, nothing happens.

Kits are supposed to be balanced in acid, so MLF is not necessary. Additionally, if the natural malic is low, MLF does nothing.

@Sheā€™sgonnakillme plans to test this with 2 FWK red kits, dosing one with MLB, to see if there is a difference. There is discussion in this thread:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/thre...n-2022-from-finer-wine-kits.75080/post-818386
IMO it's a great experiment!
I'm a private pilot flight instructor. We always say "You have to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself." Thanks to all for sharing their experiments and experiences. This is a great group.

Thank you. Yes, makes sense. Active fermentation will overflow a 6 gal bucket. Off to buy a larger one.
After I checked out the contents in the kit, it also makes sense that MLF would not be needed, as the kit components are balanced with the grapes.
thanks again.
J
Check out a Fermonster. They have a very wide mouth opening so if you want to let oxygen in, early in fermentation, leave the lid off, pop the lid on to check how fast bubbles blow through the airlock, when it starts to slow down, leave the lid on to reduce bacteria getting in. Also very easy to clean, super light, wont shatter if you drop it (empty of course). Iā€™ve gotten rid of all my fermenting buckets and changed over to Fermonster.

Check out a Fermonster. They have a very wide mouth opening so if you want to let oxygen in, early in fermentation, leave the lid off, pop the lid on to check how fast bubbles blow through the airlock, when it starts to slow down, leave the lid on to reduce bacteria getting in. Also very easy to clean, super light, wont shatter if you drop it (empty of course). Iā€™ve gotten rid of all my fermenting buckets and changed over to Fermonster.
Speidels are nice too, I have both but prefer the Speidel as it has handles and a spigot option and is heavier duty.

Expensive? How many do you have? What do you use the spigot for, dropping out gross lees? Iā€™ve seen them but never really knew how to best put them to use.

Expensive? How many do you have? What do you use the spigot for, dropping out gross lees? Iā€™ve seen them but never really knew how to best put them to use.
Speidels are $75 delivered on Amazon. I have two of them, a fermonster, a Big Mouth Bubbler and two 8 gal buckets, Speidel is the best I think. I only use the spigot on rare occasions, but my wife likes to use it to bottle her wine instead of using the AIO pump. The big thing is that the are easy to lift and move around vs the others.

Like I said Iā€™ve never seen one in action so Iā€™m trying to learn. You donā€™t really use the spigot, so handles are the only difference? Whatā€™s the capacity? Fermonsters (7g) are half the price but donā€™t have handles. When full they are almost dangerous to carry because of the weight. Thatā€™s the only drawback in my mind. Do you use your Speidel as the primary or for long term aging?

Latest posts

Back