Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I read the announcement, all the existing formulations will be renamed to Tavola Series (or table wine). New formulations are coming that week be bigger and bolder to be named Forte Series.

On a completely different note. I just took my second Finer Wine kit, a Bordeaux Blend of from 6 weeks of extended maceration. I measured the final gravity to be 0.990, which means my abv on that one will be very nearly 15%. The noise had a very slight sulfur noise to it, but the taste more than made up for it. I added about 2 oz of French Oak cubes to it. I'll be leaving those for about two months. The Super Tuscan I started some time ago is probably ready for checking how clear it is.
I read it the same way. There was a “coming soon” announcement also for the first red in the Forte Series. A Super Tuscan iirc. No word on what the difference(s) will be or the price point.

I racked my double kit of FWK Cab Sauv off the skins last weekend (4 weeks). The taste was great but these do seem to have more sediment than other kits. I did the EM in two 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubblers with two bags of skins in each. Racked one 5gal carboy full and was going to put the rest into a 6.5G carboy but it needed a lot of top up. 3 liters! So I lost almost a gallon to sediment and what I couldn’t squeeze out of the skins.

I rack right out of my Spiedels into 6.5g carboys. There's still enough CO2 to not need a top up. 2nd rack is into 5g glass & I top up with marbles. I use only US made clear marbles. Then the final rack is into my Better Bottles. The 5g glass apparently holds a little more than 5 gal as I usually need very little to top up the BB.

I heard oak cubes are not very beneficial. Am I reading the right stuff.

No, I don't think you are reading the right stuff. Many folks use oak cubes to provide oak and tannin. Perhaps you misread the word, could it maybe have said oak chips, which do provide tannins, but not much oak essence. Personally though, I have switched to mostly using oak sticks or oak sections. The larger the form factor of the oak, the more oak essence it can provide.

I heard oak cubes are not very beneficial. Am I reading the right stuff.
"Beneficial" depends on context. What are you trying to do with the cubes?

If trying to duplicate the effects of a barrel, then it's true. Nothing (that I know of) duplicates the evaporation/concentration effect of a barrel.

OTOH, if we are talking oak flavoring, ALL oak products and adjuncts work, with varying effectiveness.

Mine has done the same in the past as well. I think you're safe to pitch the yeast and watch for signs of fermentation in the must over the next 24 hours. Try to make sure the must and the yeast starter are close to the same temperature. I keep them in the same room when I start the process just to make it easier.

The yeast for the Barbera I just started acted the same way as yours. Lots of activity in the bottle, then not so much at all. I pitched it yesterday afternoon and by 10pm I could hear faint crackling at the surface of the must. This morning it's going well (sounds like an egg frying and surface has begun to push up slightly) and the temperature has gone up a few degrees (compared to yesterday) so activity has begun.

If you don't have any evidence of fermentation beginning after 24 hours or so, check the temperature of the must and perhaps increase it a bit to help the yeast get going. Mine started at 66F and is now at 69F. You could safely bring it up much more, but not out of the range of the yeast (86F I believe). After all that and if nothing is happening, it may be time to pitch some new yeast. I'm sure you could contact LP and get some replacement yeast. I'll bet you're going to be fine though.
I have made several kits in the past but never used a yeast starter. I am about to start the super Tuscan Finer Wine , I’m just not sure exactly how to begin the yeast starter. Do I add just one cup of water to the yeast packet and let it sit for 18 to 30 hours?. There’s no written instructions. I’m still a beginner to some degree but the Finer wine kits give me a lot of anxiety!😞

I have made several kits in the past but never used a yeast starter. I am about to start the super Tuscan Finer Wine , I’m just not sure exactly how to begin the yeast starter. Do I add just one cup of water to the yeast packet and let it sit for 18 to 30 hours?. There’s no written instructions. I’m still a beginner to some degree but the Finer wine kits give me a lot of anxiety!
You didn't get a book with the FWK? Mine came with a plastic spiral bound manual. The starter instructions are in Step #2, Item #5. I'll summarize creating a starter:

Sanitize a wine bottle. Add Packet B (yeast starter nutrient), yeast, and 1 cup room temperature distilled, purified, or spring water. Swirl the water around to blend, loosely cover the bottle, and place it in warm location (70 - 80 F).

18 to 24 hours later, gently pour the starter down the side of the fermenter so it doesn't spread out more than necessary.

What may help is my step-by-step blog in making a FWK Barbera. Read the post, which is up to the point of adding the fining agents. This weekend I'll be racking off the sediment and beginning bulk aging.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2021-finer-wine-kits-barbera-in-detail/

You didn't get a book with the FWK? Mine came with a plastic spiral bound manual. The starter instructions are in Step #2, Item #5. I'll summarize creating a starter:

Sanitize a wine bottle. Add Packet B (yeast starter nutrient), yeast, and 1 cup room temperature distilled, purified, or spring water. Swirl the water around to blend, loosely cover the bottle, and place it in warm location (70 - 80 F).

18 to 24 hours later, gently pour the starter down the side of the fermenter so it doesn't spread out more than necessary.

What may help is my step-by-step blog in making a FWK Barbera. Read the post, which is up to the point of adding the fining agents. This weekend I'll be racking off the sediment and beginning bulk aging.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2021-finer-wine-kits-barbera-in-detail/
Thank you so much!! I am used reading instructions from other kits and they list steps like a recipe.

The FW instructions are in a story book fashion which is confusing . I appreciate you providing me step by step instructions. I will check out your link.

The FW instructions are in a story book fashion which is confusing . I appreciate you providing me step by step instructions
Isn't perspective an amazing thing? I've been reading this forum for a few years now and have seen many contributors take countless key strokes to explain the list of steps in kit instructions. Many of those same people have also commented on how good it was that the FWK instruction books explained the steps instead of just listing them. Just goes to show you, perspective is in the eyes of the beholder.

Welcome to the forum.

Just goes to show you, perspective is in the eyes of the beholder.
This is very true.

I like the FWK instructions, as it explains a lot of detail. The booklet answers many of the questions that are commonly asked by beginners.

However, for a beginner a more concise, checklist-like set of instruction can work better. The amount of detail can be overwhelming whereas the beginner may simply want to get through the process.

@Lukaswine, a recommendation I've made in the past is to read the instructions once to get a feel for the overall flow. Then read the instructions again, picking apart details. Then read the instructions a third time, segregating the various packages in the kit by stop.

Then start the kit. The preparation of reading the instructions several times will usually make a difference.

Isn't perspective an amazing thing? I've been reading this forum for a few years now and have seen many contributors take countless key strokes to explain the list of steps in kit instructions. Many of those same people have also commented on how good it was that the FWK instruction books explained the steps instead of just listing them. Just goes to show you, perspective is in the eyes of the beholder.

Welcome to the forum.
I did enjoy reading the booklet and I gleaned a lot from it. But, when it came to following the instructions I need the listing format so, I can see where I missed something . LOL. I didn’t have any training or know about this forum, which by way is awesome!
Thank you to the senior winemakers & contributors. I found “gold “ when I came across this forum last year.

This is very true.

I like the FWK instructions, as it explains a lot of detail. The booklet answers many of the questions that are commonly asked by beginners.

However, for a beginner a more concise, checklist-like set of instruction can work better. The amount of detail can be overwhelming whereas the beginner may simply want to get through the process.

@Lukaswine, a recommendation I've made in the past is to read the instructions once to get a feel for the overall flow. Then read the instructions again, picking apart details. Then read the instructions a third time, segregating the various packages in the kit by stop.

Then start the kit. The preparation of reading the instructions several times will usually make a difference.
I have read it and watched their videos but got nervous when I tried to begin this morning 😅 I greatly appreciate your tips. Thank you.

I have read it and watched their videos but got nervous when I tried to begin this morning
That's totally understandable. Winemaking is thought of as a magical process by folks that aren't exposed to it. Deep in historical wines, it was magic -- plain 'ole fruit started foaming and sputtering, then it stopped, and suddenly it was SUPER FRUIT!!!

But it's just a natural process that we've learned to guide. Make a few kits and it all becomes understandable.

Question for those of you who have bottled and/or tasted your Finer Wine Sauvignon Blanc. What would you say are the tasting notes? It seems to have a stronger taste of something I can't decide what it is. Would it be grapefruit?? For my taste, I hope it recedes a bit as it ages. I bottled on 7-23-2021 so I know I'm rushing it!

Started a Cab & a Bordeaux today w/o any skins, but I added cherry juice (no preservatives, pastured only). Hoping to make quick (6 mo) table wines. The 4 kits I've started previously (all with 1 skins pack) have tasted great at each stage. Lots of good feelings about the FWK. I've got a riesling & a muscato awaiting release.

@Lukaswine I had a thought about what you might try if you want. Read through the two sets of directions and align the steps between them. The basic processes are essentially the same with only minor differences. Mix the must and start fermentation, primary fermentation, secondary fermentation, clearing and stabilizing and aging and bottling. Followed by drinking of course. It took me a while to understand that there are different ways to do most of the steps but figuring out what your preferences are is part of the enjoyment.

Latest posts

Back