Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I will heed the advice. I was just thinking of how to slow it down a little. I guess a stalled ferment or starving the yeast is a bigger concern. It was down to 80F this morning before I left for work. I will check SG this evening and see if its ready to rack into secondary.

Best bet to slow a ferment is cooling it down somehow. My basement is in the mid 60’s. Perfect for a slower ferment. And towards the end, I will add a brew belt to get me down to zero. Still, these FW kits rocket through a ferment.

Last edited:
If they supply the kits with 2 ,then they have their reason's .
There not giving away free packets of yeasts.
These kits are not much different than a box kit, try not to over think it.

Finer Wine Zin finished fermenting, squeezed out the bag of skins. Added sulphite etc, degassed with my trusty All In One (don’t be a winemaker without it). Will now bulk age for a month or two, but couldn’t resist stealing a glass. It. Is. Good!!

That's my plan. I gave it just KMeta when I racked last weekend. I'll probably chuck the pre-packed stuff they included, as I don't want the Sorbate in there.
I used the packet of sorbate and kmeta and then tasted after to check for a bad taste and its really not there. I find that the pasteurization of older kits was the culprit, not sorbate.

Two weeks into my petite sirah. Racked to a secondary and got a taste. I am impressed. Truly. Love the flavor. Might bump the oak up a little, but otherwise I’m very happy.

way to go @Label Peelers. Tell that guy from North Jersey - he’s got a winner on his hands. Just don’t f&$# it up. 😬

Just filtered and racked my chardonnay taste was very good ,Riesling also ready to bottle.

I haven't been able to get back down in the wine room since Friday. Might be a couple more days till I look around and see what wines I'm going to bottle next. Multiple candidates (mostly WE kits), but the two FW kits I have on oak are due for a racking too. I don't typically filter my wines so I'll likely let them sit a little bit and then bottle those after one more racking after that.

I love the smell on these kits but I'm worried the SB I just degassed isn't showing any clearing after 2 days and that's after using the clearing agents. Anyone else have this problem with the finer wine whites?

I love the smell on these kits but I'm worried the SB I just degassed isn't showing any clearing after 2 days and that's after using the clearing agents. Anyone else have this problem with the finer wine whites?
Not sure it’s a problem but my FW Zinfandel didn’t show any sign of clearing several weeks after the clearing agents were used. I put it through another kieselsol/chitosan application and it cleared right up. BTW, after a week in the bottle, it tastes very good.
I am waiting for a FW cab sauvignon to clear now, will see how it does.
“It seems to me that any kit I’ve made without bentonite being added first took much longer to clear.?!?”

I can't recall kieselsol/chitosan failing when used in the correct order. My first thought is that either fermentation is not complete or the wine is not degassed. Both situations prevent clearing.

My Riesling took clearing we'll but the chardonnay is having a he'll of a time even after running it through my AIOP.

We can rule out incomplete fermentation ... ;)

If you stir the wine vigorously, do you get a lot of foam? If not, it needs more degassing.

Did you add the kieselsol first, then the chitosan? If in the wrong order, the wine may not clear.

IF all the above are negative, give the wine a few more days. If it doesn't clear, try the kieselsol/chitosan again.

Last edited:
I'm of the mind set its very high in pectin, I'll let it set the add the finding agents again.
I wa queries if anybody else has had a problem?

What is the SG?
I degassed my SB and added the clearing agents on on Monday. It still has a ways
to go but it’s definitely clearing.

Latest posts

Back