Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Y'all, I am sure many of us have made a lot of the FWK's now and have enjoyed them. However, all the reds come with the same RC212 yeast. I have recently started to swap out the RC212 for different yeasts in an attempt to create different flavor profiles and mix it up. I have used BM4X4, Avante, D254 and Pasteur Red. Curious what others have used and liked, and to also see if anyone has blended any of these together (either during or post fermentation)? I'm thinking the fresh juice has way more potential and deserves to be used in other ways vs just having the one RC212 all the time. After all, most wineries these days are blending yeasts, even in single varietal batches to create complexity.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. Bought two sauvignon blanc kits.

We pressed the pinot noir and Bordeaux Blend kits and stabilized them after their EM on gross lees. Have not tasted them but will do before topping up, as I want to report out to the thread on sur lies/battonage.

We also stabilized the two Zin Blush kits and racked.

Ok Y'all, I am sure many of us have made a lot of the FWK's now and have enjoyed them. However, all the reds come with the same RC212 yeast. I have recently started to swap out the RC212 for different yeasts in an attempt to create different flavor profiles and mix it up. I have used BM4X4, Avante, D254 and Pasteur Red. Curious what others have used and liked, and to also see if anyone has blended any of these together (either during or post fermentation)? I'm thinking the fresh juice has way more potential and deserves to be used in other ways vs just having the one RC212 all the time. After all, most wineries these days are blending yeasts, even in single varietal batches to create complexity.
RC 212 produces a nice wine but BM 4x4 is my favorite. My local wine shop tells me that he can’t get 4x4 anymore. The company told him they discontinued making it. That’s odd because I see sellers on line have it. Why would Lavin say that.

RC 212 produces a nice wine but BM 4x4 is my favorite. My local wine shop tells me that he can’t get 4x4 anymore. The company told him they discontinued making it. That’s odd because I see sellers on line have it. Why would Lavin say that.
Aggh, so that's why my wine shop stopped selling it. That's bad as it is/was my fav yeast for Italian reds,,,

Edit: I assume, if this is correct, that the online sellers will only sell it as long as they have it on stock.

Last edited:
I might buy another half kilo brick of it in that case. It is one of my favorites too. It was marketed as an improvement to BM 45 since that is regarded as a temperamental yeast. At least that’s what I’ve read but I’ve never had a problem with it, just expect a slow fermentation especially as it drops below an SG of 1.100-1.000.

Good morning oenophiles.

The FWK sale ends today. I'm thinking about grabbing a Grenache Rose. My wife's summer wine is typically a dry rose with nice strawberry and raspberry flavors. The description seems to be on the money. But, I wonder if anyone did this one and how it turned out.

I started a new experiment yesterday, one I've mentioned recently -- I started 2 Tavola Merlot kits (no skin packs) and added the pomace from 8 lugs of Grenache to one, and the pomace from 8 lugs of Tempranillo to the other. The plan is to see how much oomph I get from the pomace, and how different the Merlot turn out.

Fermentation kicked back in quickly -- I could smell it 4 hours later. One drawback -- the must is nearly impossible to stir, as the liquid to solids ratio is heavily in favor of the solids. I suspect that the pomace from 8 lugs would have been plenty. Oh, well, it's good exercise for the back and shoulders!

Another experiment takes place next Sunday -- I purchased rice hulls and will be using them in the pressing.

One difference from the FWK instructions is that we used none of the additives. After thinking it through with my son, using none makes sense -- Packet A contains K-meta, and since the pomace is full of yeast, don't want to risk screwing up the ferment. Instead we added Fermax.

Packet B is skipped as I don't need a starter.

Packet C? We decided to go with Fermax, adding 30% more due to the yeast being a mix of RC-212 and Avante, so we're adding more Fermax in 2 days.

Packet D I skip unless backsweetening.

We also skipped the oak chips as the pomace has 6 cups of oak in it.

The additives are in a drawer, and will be used when my son or I make a non-FWK kit.

Good morning oenophiles.

The FWK sale ends today. I'm thinking about grabbing a Grenache Rose. My wife's summer wine is typically a dry rose with nice strawberry and raspberry flavors. The description seems to be on the money. But, I wonder if anyone did this one and how it turned out.
I’m interested if anyone else replies. I started one back in July. My wife and I aren’t typically Rose drinkers, but I thought it would be a good one to have on hand. It’s still early, but my wife doesn’t like it so far. Hopefully it will turn out with more time. We did try it vs a couple of commercial Rose’s I used for topping. I think it is comparable to one of them and better than the other one. Just my opinion so far and as I mentioned curious what others think.

I’m interested if anyone else replies. I started one back in July. My wife and I aren’t typically Rose drinkers, but I thought it would be a good one to have on hand. It’s still early, but my wife doesn’t like it so far. Hopefully it will turn out with more time. We did try it vs a couple of commercial Rose’s I used for topping. I think it is comparable to one of them and better than the other one. Just my opinion so far and as I mentioned curious what others think.

I am in the exact same boat. We aren't big Rose drinkers either, but I bought the Zin Blush thinking my daughters and wife may warm up to it. NOPE! None of them like it and now I'm giving 30 bottles away in Christmas baskets lol 🤷‍♂️

what's ur FAV Tavola blend, no skin packs ?

Looking for a low tannins, medium bodied blend :)

Cheers!

Popped cork on 1st bottle Forte Bordeaux.....7.5months bulk & 1month bottle.....Deeeeeeelish!!!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1017221902_HDR.jpg
    1017221902_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
what's ur FAV Tavola blend, no skin packs ?
I got one of the last Barbera summer 2021, and at a year old it's nice. A bit lighter than I was looking for, but definitely tasty.

I just bottled a Pinot Noir, so I can't say with certainty, but at bottling time I like it better than the Barbera. This is not to downplay the Barbera; just that I like the PN better. It may be that I simply like PN better than B.

I am in the exact same boat. We aren't big Rose drinkers either, but I bought the Zin Blush thinking my daughters and wife may warm up to it. NOPE! None of them like it and now I'm giving 30 bottles away in Christmas baskets lol 🤷‍♂️
I usually make a Rose as a summer wine for my wife and daughters. It’s also good with salads and salmon - meals we have more often in the warmer months. I’ve done the WE kits - sangio and French Pinot kits. And, we buy commercial rose wines too. So I think I have a good basis for comparison.

Usually, I start my rose kit in March and am drinking it by June. And by September, there are only a few bottles left.

I thought I’d get a jump on it now and allow it more time to mature in the bottle before plowing into them.

The kit will be at my door today. I’ll post impressions as I go. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back