Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bmd, I have made wine for many, many years and in all of those years I have only dumped 2 carboys of wine because they were undrinkable and not even good enough to make into vinegar. Both were FWK Chardonnays, one without the "carbon fix" and one with the "carbon fix." I have not and will not try any other FWK whites. It is my view that there is something in the process that they use for their white wine which requires a remedy (charcoal) to overcome.

Further, making "kit" whites does not, in my opinion, produce as good a white as buckets of juice, widely available in my area in both Spring (from South America, South Africa and Australia) and Fall (from California and Europe). In addition, making wine from juice buckets seems easier to me. Lastly, buckets of juice are very close to the production process used by the majority of wineries, i.e. crush, destem and separate the juice from the skins immediately then into fermentation tanks.

I do, however, agree that the FWK reds are very good wines and the equal of the best kits I have ever made.
I make a lot of chardonnay and for my money, the Winexpert chard is somewhat better than the FWK. I can't really put my finger om it, bit the WE chard just tastes better. FWK chard is not bad - it's just not as good.

Has anyone tried the Williams Brewing 5 gallon wine kits?All my 6 gal. carboys are full but I have 3 empty 5 gal. ones.
Yes, I have made their Muscat on several occasions and I was very pleased with the results. What drove me to Williams Brewing was that I needed a Muscat (which I blend with Zinfandel in an old family recipe) and there were no other straight Muscat's available at the time.

I will point out that I have never made one of their red wines and probably would not in the future. This is due to my belief that red wines need time on the skins and the Williams offering does not provide this. I would, however, have no problem trying their Chardonnay, Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc, although I feel there are more desirable options for all those varieties from other suppliers.

Last edited:
Bmd, I have made wine for many, many years and in all of those years I have only dumped 2 carboys of wine because they were undrinkable and not even good enough to make into vinegar. Both were FWK Chardonnays, one without the "carbon fix" and one with the "carbon fix." I have not and will not try any other FWK whites. It is my view that there is something in the process that they use for their white wine which requires a remedy (charcoal) to overcome.

Further, making "kit" whites does not, in my opinion, produce as good a white as buckets of juice, widely available in my area in both Spring (from South America, South Africa and Australia) and Fall (from California and Europe). In addition, making wine from juice buckets seems easier to me. Lastly, buckets of juice are very close to the production process used by the majority of wineries, i.e. crush, destem and separate the juice from the skins immediately then into fermentation tanks.

I do, however, agree that the FWK reds are very good wines and the equal of the best kits I have ever made.

I need to issue a correction to this posting.

The FWK whites that I made and discarded were not Chardonnay's, they were a Sauvignon Blanc and a Moscato. Sorry for the mistake. I was re-reading my post and it occurred to me that I do not even like Chardonnay's and I wondered why I have purchased two kits. I went back through my orders from Label Peelers and found the correct wines. That clarified, I stand behind everything else in the posting.

Yes, I have made their Muscat on several occasions and I was very pleased with the results. What drove me to Williams Brewing was that I needed a Muscat (which I blend with Zinfandel in an old family recipe) and there were no other straight Muscat's available at the time.

I will point out that I have never made one of their red wines and probably would not in the future. This is due to my belief that red wines need time on the skins and the Williams offering does not provide this. I would, however, have not problem trying their Chardonnay, Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc, although I feel there are more desirable options for all those varieties from other suppliers.
Thank you for the reply.

My thoughts exactly. I looked to see what I paid on the 40% offer compared to free shipping and it’s not even close. The kit prices are extremely high.
I've made some of my best wines with the Finer kits but unfortunately this seems to be a common practice with LP

Has anyone tried the Williams Brewing 5 gallon wine kits?All my 6 gal. carboys are full but I have 3 empty 5 gal. ones.
I am a big fan of Williams for Pinot Noir and Petit Syrah. 5 gallons of each aging now. Have made multiple times since 2014. Concentrated juice now come in plastic bags instead of cans. The Cabernet and Merlot were both OK. Didn't care for their Chardonnay.

Latest posts

Back