Other Finer Wine Kits new process white wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months ago I made the FWK Riesling with carbon and it cleared beautifully. Within a couple of days after adding the kieselsol and chitosan there was an obvious gradation as the carbon was precipitating out. Now I'm making a FWK Zinfandel Blush which also includes carbon. I racked and degassed and added the kieselsol on July 13 and the chitosan on the 14th. It's been ten days now and the entire six gallons is as black as it was the day I started the kit. Has anyone else had that experience, and does anyone have any suggestions beyond just waiting patiently until it does clear?
I thought the same thing when my Grenache Rosé was clearing. I could see sediment precipitating down the walls of the carboy but the wine still looked black. Take a strong flashlight and view it through the beam of light. It turned out the the color was just darker than I was expecting and as @winemaker81 says the volume of the carboy makes it look different. If you have the dark, carbon infused sediment accumulating at the bottom it probably is clearing.

My adventure with the Muscat continues. A few weeks back, it looked like this (after two doses of K & C). In the first photo, the FWK Muscat is on the right. Note the clarity. The other white wine in the picture on the left is a Brand X Muscat, started weeks after the FWK Muscat. Note its clarity.

A day or two ago, I noticed that the FWK Muscat had "clouded" for no apparent reason, so I racked it to another carboy. I also racked the other Muscat at the same time. I have no idea why the FWK clouded up. The Brand X did not.

Attachments

• 100_1978.JPG
    100_1978.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_1988.JPG
    100_1988.JPG
    968.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1989.JPG
    100_1989.JPG
    952.8 KB · Views: 0
An update on my FWK new process Sav Blanc kit. These are now about 3 months old and have been filtered. Both were made at the same time. On the left is a WE Aussy Sav Blanc - on the right is the FWK. I did not use the bentonite, nor the carbon. The FWK is a tad bit sweeter than the WE. The FWK coloring is not ideal, but I don't find difference to be distracting, but others may differ.

PXL_20220824_150239202.PORTRAIT.jpg

Right, some seem to be struggling with the carbon/bentonite so I am just showing what it looks like without.
This is good, as it's great to have a direct comparison of methods. It's unfortunate we're not close enough to do a tasting -- I'd love to compare yours and mine. I suspect the carbon may make some difference, but that both are fine.

My Chardonnay (pre-carbon) is darker than I'd normally expect, but it appears to be a bit lighter than your SB. I am highly pleased with it.

EDIT: Noted that my Chardonnay is a pre-carbon kit.

Last edited:
My FWK Sauvignon Blanc is much lighter and I used the bentonite/carbon + K&C. In my blog, scroll to the bottom to see a picture from a few months ago. Mine is bulk aging at this time.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-finer-wine-kits-sauvignon-blanc-in-detail/
I've made a few FWK whites - two Chards, one with and one without the carbon. The one with carbon came out noticeably lighter in color. I had no problem clearing the carbon from that one. But the Sauvignon Blanc that I made this spring still had some carbon fines in it after several rackings. It's still sitting a carboy, so I don't know if they've all dropped out or not . One thing I know for sure . . . that carbon is messy to work with from start to finish. 😡 Final color is not that important to me, so I may just forget the carbon with future FWK whites.

Is there any difference in aroma and/or flavor, so far?
I didn't notice any, but I've only had a small sip or two of each. When I was washing out the carboy after the first racking on the one with carbon, I noticed a very strong acetone like smell in the sediment. But that didn't seem to affect the taste then or during the next racking.

To use or not to use , light , dark ?
Bentonite works end of story, that’s all .
To each his or hers own

Back