Other Finer Wine Kits new process white wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all!
FYI, we are updating the process with the carbon again with a few more enhancements. Mixing bentonite with the carbon before adding concentrate pulls a lot more of it out more quickly. We are also going to instruct customers to add fining agents separately as per the manufacturers instructions. Lastly, for any wines that have sweetener packs, adding the sugar will be a separate step. It appears that the sugar does slow down the clearing process. We’re getting there. Testing it now but the initial results are very promising.
Matteo

C68F587F-450D-486D-A3F7-6493E0B220B4.jpeg
I put a strong flashlight (3000 lumin led) behind it and it appears there is some clearing happening. Just a lot of the carbon still in suspension.
Trying to figure out if I should do something or just wait it out.

Trying to figure out if I should do something or just wait it out.
The color with the light behind it looks good. It's very likely the wine is clearing, although slowly. The somewhat darker color of the wine, the depth (thickness) of the wine, and the light conditions make the clearing look less effective than it really is. I'd give it another week and take a similar photo. If the wine isn't clearing then, another dose of K&C may be warranted.

There is a risk of over-finnig for sure
This is true. However, I have not been able to find detailed information regarding K&C like I have for other fining agents, from qualified sources I consider trustworthy. I assume that over fining is possible, but don't know the effects.

[/QUOTEI'd give it another week and take a similar photo.
[/QUOTE]
Ok. I rearranged the light to be more directly behind and will take a new photo with the same setup next week. I also took another for comparison to the white wine next to it. Calling it somewhat darker is being generous.
ACC39C47-46E2-4E88-A762-3CA99EDEADEB.jpeg

Looks great! And having ur wife dig it certainly is a boost :)

How long ya bulk age?
On oak?
What yeast ya use?

Cheers!

Process I followed was:
-mixed Bentonite and charcoal in hot water prior to adding juice
-added 1/2 cup organic white raisins in primary
-added 1/2 tbs grapefruit zest to primary
-15 day ferment to dry
-rack, degassed, added packet D, add Kieselsol (waited 5 min), add Chitosan
-3 weeks in carboy and then bottle
-no deviations from kit supplied oak or yeast

Process I followed was:
-mixed Bentonite and charcoal in hot water prior to adding juice
-added 1/2 cup organic white raisins in primary
-added 1/2 tbs grapefruit zest to primary
-15 day ferment to dry
-rack, degassed, added packet D, add Kieselsol (waited 5 min), add Chitosan
-3 weeks in carboy and then bottle
-no deviations from kit supplied oak or yeast
haven't bought the FWK Chardonnay yet -- what Yeast is provided?

Cheers!

Ok I'm starting my first white finer kit with the new process, I just pitched on a SB. So far my past results have been meh on the finer wine kits. My first chard was flabby tasting and I'm going to dump it, the SB was more drinkable but not very crisp and had that horrible color, the second SB is still bulk aging and I'll bottle it and find out soon. Anyway hope this comes out, the reds I make turn out fine but all of my white kits(whatever the brand) are meh at best.

E821DD40-30BC-4F41-921B-C92535A5EB01.jpeg6DF33644-49A4-4C03-954D-8B09AC37F3B6.jpegAFF3AC1C-C115-4832-BBD4-63B59F310A10.jpegDB689CAA-81C8-49AD-AB13-DDD7DB51FB29.jpeg
The images on the left are last week’s and this week’s on the right. The wine is pretty much clear but very dark for a rosé. Not sure what to do next. Maybe put some in a glass and see what it looks like?
🤷🏼

Ok I'm starting my first white finer kit with the new process, I just pitched on a SB. So far my past results have been meh on the finer wine kits. My first chard was flabby tasting and I'm going to dump it, the SB was more drinkable but not very crisp and had that horrible color, the second SB is still bulk aging and I'll bottle it and find out soon. Anyway hope this comes out, the reds I make turn out fine but all of my white kits(whatever the brand) are meh at best.
Understand fully

My son & I bottled the FWK Chardonnay and Riesling yesterday, both the pre-carbon kits, about 6.5 months old. Color is good on both.

We slightly backsweetened the Riesling, adding 6 oz of the finishing pack and 4 oz glycerin to 6 gallons of wine. We started with 4 oz finishing pack and my son liked the taste -- we both prefer dry wines. I suggested he taste it again, focusing on acid, and he agreed it was a bit sharp. We added 2 oz more finishing pack plus the glycerin, and it cut the acid to a nice level.

The Chardonnay has a very nice nose, but the taste is a bit muted. We added 5 oz glycerin to 5 gallons of wine, and it improved body and brought the flavor out a bit more. We'll taste it again in 3 or 4 months.

Chardonnay:

2021-chardonnay-bottling-glass.jpg

Riesling:

2021-riesling-glass.jpg

And we racked my Sauvignon Blanc, which rested for 3 weeks after fining. This one has a very nice nose and a nice flavor for a wine 5 weeks old. It's got a floral note in the taste, sort of rose-like, that is pleasant. I have high hope for this one -- we'll bottle in 5 months or so.

Sauvignon Blanc:

2022-sauvignon-blanc-glass.jpg

@Old Corker here's my Rose which had no carbon addition. I didn't have a flashlight handy to backlight it, but as you can see it's quite dark.

View attachment 88798
Yeah, I think we got what we got. I’m going to rack mine this weekend. I want to see what the lees look like (how much carbon) and see what it looks like in a glass. Get a taste.

Latest posts

Back