Other Finer Wine Kits new process white wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you use carbon with that kit? My Chardonnay seems a lot darker.
Keep in mind that various things will affect the color perceived in a photo. In addition to the wine's actual color, the light level and the background will change the perception. I suggest you put a sample in a sanitized wine glass and examine it against a white background, as that will give you a clearer view of the wine.

Racked my Grenache Rosé this evening. It is was still black although less densely so. Same black sludge in the bucket as described by others. Degassed with my AIO pump. Added the stabilizer and clearing agents. Just checked it some 4-5 hours later and not much change. I topped it up with FWK Sauvignon Blanc. One of the first round of whites before the carbon was added. It was the closest thing I had to the color of rosé :p
0669E351-1062-4F64-848D-150B173DD7C6.jpegA7B362C8-C861-48AF-8EE9-DC0BFF1737C8.jpeg

My Rose kit is still in the Speidel under airlock. I wasn't around to add the nutrient booster (if there was any), so I guess I'll skip that step too. 😁

Hoping to get it racked into a carboy this evening.

I have found it best to NOT add the wine conditioner at the clearing stage as the instructions state, but to add it at bottling time. It seems to slow the clearing process IME

My Rose kit is still in the Speidel under airlock. I wasn't around to add the nutrient booster (if there was any), so I guess I'll skip that step too. 😁

Hoping to get it racked into a carboy this evening.

As long as you added the first pack of yeast nutrient, you should be OK. The second dose just helps it clean up better. Without it, it just might take longer to finish. The reason we add it has to do with making sure it gets to the end without stress. If you’ve ever made wine and it’s had a sulfurry smell after primary, that’s the cause. I think the gas it produces is sulfur dioxide. If yours does, it will clear.

As long as you added the first pack of yeast nutrient, you should be OK. The second dose just helps it clean up better. Without it, it just might take longer to finish. The reason we add it has to do with making sure it gets to the end without stress. If you’ve ever made wine and it’s had a sulfurry smell after primary, that’s the cause. I think the gas it produces is sulfur dioxide. If yours does, it will clear.
It's hydrogen sulfide (HS), and anyone who's experienced it once will not want to repeat the experience.

Unless caught immediately, HS can ruin the wine. In my case I caught it early enough, but it still took treatment with Reduless (eliminates HS) and ascorbic acid (eliminates mercaptans which make the wine taste ugly) over a 5 month period to fix the wine.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected. I do plan to bulk age, so I'm not super worried about incomplete fermentation.

It's hydrogen sulfide (HS), and anyone who's experienced it once will not want to repeat the experience.

Unless caught immediately, HS can ruin the wine. In my case I caught it early enough, but it still took treatment with Reduless (eliminates HS) and ascorbic acid (eliminates mercaptans which make the wine taste ugly) over a 5 month period to fix the wine.

How’s that for a brain fart? I should’ve checked the term! Both compounds contain the word sulfur but they ain’t close to being the same thing. And you’re right, once you experience it once, never again. It’s a horrible smell.

I racked mine Saturday. Degassed and added the
I have found it best to NOT add the wine conditioner at the clearing stage as the instructions state, but to add it at bottling time. It seems to slow the clearing process IME
The wine conditioner you refer to IIRC is for back sweetening, right? The Grenache Rosé didn’t have it. I assume bc it is designed to be a dry wine.

I racked mine Saturday afternoon. Degassed and added Packet D and the clearing agents. 48+ hours later there is no sign of clearing. At least none of the black color is receding. I gave it a twist I bit ago and could see solids falling but the black is hanging in there. I know patience ’effing patience but I was expecting to see something by now.

I racked mine Saturday. Degassed and added the

The wine conditioner you refer to IIRC is for back sweetening, right? The Grenache Rosé didn’t have it. I assume bc it is designed to be a dry wine.

Yes, I did two Rieslings kits. One I added the conditioner at clearing and the other I am waiting to add at bottling. The one with conditioner added is not clearing very well, and I'll likely hit it again with K/C. But the one without is clearing nicely. I just don't see any reason to add it prior to bottling.

Last edited:
Well something is not right. One week after racking and adding K and C and it still shows no sign of dropping the carbon. Should a add more K and C? I also have some Sparkaloid. View attachment 88251
Phil, what wine variety is that? What is in the carboy on the right?

I made a FWK Tavola Muscat, and it took two applications of K and C to clear it, plus about three weeks.

Latest posts

Back