Other Finer Wine Kits new process white wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unsealed my Sauvignon Blanc last night. As expected, it's Goth wine. The sediment in the bottom of the fermenter was very firm, it took several iterations of spraying with hot water to loosen it. Which is actually good -- none was sucked up during racking.

As I racked, I added 1/4 tsp K-meta and kieselsol, and when done I stirred for 30 seconds with a drill-mounted stirring rod. I let it set about 5 minutes, added teh chitosan, and stirred in the opposite direction for 30 seconds. It didn't foam during stirring, but a fair amount rose when done.

Goth-1.jpg

This morning, about 14 hours later, the wine has cleared a lot -- it's no longer Goth. It's got a ways to go, but it's definitely clearing.

Goth-2.jpg

I started my Grenache rosé 7 days ago. It was down to 1.010 at day 4 so I sealed it and put the air lock on. Today it is barely bubbling. I’m tempted to open it and read the SG. I want to follow the directions but if it is done fermenting what’s the point of waiting another week?

I want to follow the directions but if it is done fermenting what’s the point of waiting another week?
Matteo commented a while ago that the last bit of fermentation is slow and not as noticeable. Not touching the wine for 2 weeks helps ensure the ferment is 100% done. If you open the fermenter early, you have to deal with it, whether it's done or not. I trust Matteo's judgment on this -- it worked for my niece, and so far it's working for me.

Thanks everyone for this great thread. I have been making wine from kits for about 15 years (I haven't kept track but I guess I've made about 200 kits). I make mostly dry reds, but some whites as well. I have made about eight Finer Wine kits, but last month started my first white (Chardonnay). The charcoal surprised me, and the resulting color was shocking (thanks for the warning in the instructions Matteo). I just racked from my primary fermenter (sealed plastic bucket) to a glass carboy, and was concerned about the terrible color so consulted Google and found this thread. After adding the K & C and stirring gently today, after just two hours I'm already seeing an improvement.

Here’s my FW Chardonnay. It’s been racked twice and started a month ago. The color is somewhat dark.

Attachments

• 06C7237B-458A-4A8C-A577-30F1589AE5FF.jpeg
    06C7237B-458A-4A8C-A577-30F1589AE5FF.jpeg
    899.2 KB · Views: 30
A bit of a wrench is getting tossed into the comparison beteween my and @Old Corker Grenache Rose kits - I was traveling a couple days last week, and I'm going to be gone all this week. Consequently, I haven't paid much attention to my version without the carbon. I took a quick look last evening in between doing laundry and packing my bags, and it's still bubbling a bit (I'm sure my ferment will be slower than @Old Corker since my basement is still around 60F). I installed an airlock and it's just going to sit until the weekend.

I'm still very confident the final product will be fine. As I've said before, winemaking is the ultimate procrastinator's hobby!

An update on my FWK Tavola Muscat:

I racked it today and netted out 5 gallons plus. The wine cleared very nicely, and I was not surprised to find evidence of the charcoal at the bottom of the donor carboy. I wonder if we will ever be able to get it all out. The taste of the wine is fruitier than I have had before and is very good. I will not use this wine by itself and will blend it with Zinfandel for a traditional family recipe.

I wonder if we will ever be able to get it all out.
The wine likely needs more time. Carbon has been an additive as long as I've been making wine (although until now I never used it as I had no need), so we can be confident it will settle out.

Latest posts

Back