Other Finer Wine Kits new process white wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We introduced the carbon for color correction but it turns out there are also benefits to the nose. That said, your wine will be just fine without it as long as you’re OK with it being darker. We recommend you use it but you can choose not to.
Matteo

Mine showed up yesterday. I'm debating on whether or not to use the carbon as well - leaning toward not.
I don't think I will either. I have a reisling & muscato from the 'amber' batches. They are getting lighter over time, but frankly I don't care. They taste good.

I read through the instructions last night and Mateo convinced me he had proved out his process. So when I mixed it up a short time ago I followed the instructions precisely, although I did stir the bentonite a bit before adding the carbon just to dissolve it a little. OSG was 1.100 so I went ahead and added packet A. Had to weather some raised eyebrows from wife and son but I’m a construction superintendent so I’m well versed at convincing people I’m right.
I have to admit I was fighting off the thought that it’s a little weird. 8690A88D-EE2C-414E-8E9C-A359DADB258C.jpeg

I stabilized and cleared both a Reisling and a Chardonnay kit Thursday. Everything is still black. Nothing has settled. I had bought a second kit of each and pondering returning the second kits. What other magic is there to get the black out? Filtering?

@Old Corker also started mine yesterday, skipped the carbon. It'll be interesting to see how our batches compare.
Are you doing the Grenache Rosé as well?
Edit: I’m curious if you skipped the carbon did you also skip the bentonite. Bentonite is something that is pretty common in other kit brands. I had stopped using it before I started doing FWK kits but did on this one.

What other magic is there to get the black out? Filtering?
3 things: Kieselsol, Chitosan, and patience.

This is my niece's Sauvignon Blanc 2 weeks after adding the K&C. Note the black in the bottom of the left carboy.

As @Matteo_Lahm has stated, carbon is a well known and documented additive for winemaking. This is not new, just new to most of us.

IMG_20220423_165325.jpg

Matteo, I may be way off base on this but did you try any kind of acidulation when looking for a remedy? I don't know what the process is, but grapes are mainly water and introducing something like a measured quantity of, say, lemon juice could help. That is what is used when prepping fresh fruits and vegetables to keep them from browning with exposure to oxygen. If it is the same reaction, it could help.
This has come up at other points in this discussion. The problem is that the amount of lemon juice needed to lighten it could throw off the pH. Lemon juice is very acidic. It’s also the wrong kind of acid. Citric acid is not a dominant acid in grapes.

Are you doing the Grenache Rosé as well?
Edit: I’m curious if you skipped the carbon did you also skip the bentonite. Bentonite is something that is pretty common in other kit brands. I had stopped using it before I started doing FWK kits but did on this one.
Yes I'm doing the Grenache Rose. I normally do use the bentonite, however.

Riesling UPDATE: I’m following the directions as written in my kit (carbon without bentonite). Pitched and waited 2 weeks. Racked to clearing. Degassed and added Chitosan and Kiesesol and wine conditioner. Stirred and waited 2 weeks (today). I just racked to another 2 week clarifying period or maybe a bit more as I don’t want to over-rack.

I’m impressed with the clearing, and it appears to still be a bit hazy, however, I am not concerned. The taste is wonderful. Good job, @Matteo_Lahm.

Pics are: racked to clearing stage and racked from clearing (today). Second is carbon at the bottom after racking, winecolor flowing through racking cane, and wine to hold bucket, then to carboy. One thing to note, when racking from the carboys and near the end of syphon, be careful as the carbon kicks up easily when disturbed. It’ll ruin your mood if you suck up any of it. This was the most careful syphon I’ve done.

For those wondering about the amount (a full
6 gallons) I added a bit more water at ferment to bring down the specific gravity due to a suspected over filled juice bag.

So far so good. 4B3C9BB9-0F78-4413-9651-7813EF418A1E.jpegC8815B1E-DAC5-4E87-A64B-9AE29A7F4E6F.jpeg

Will the wine conditioner cloud it up? I opted to wait to add the wine conditioner till after I rack into a 5 gallon carboy. I didnt really think about its affect on clarity.

Latest posts

Back