Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits (FWK) Not Clearing - Need Ideas!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluff

Reaction score
I currently have 6 FWK kits bulk aging now (all - FedEx is bringing 2 more today). I started a Forte Bordeaux on 1-27-22 and a Forte Cabernet on 4-16-22. Both of these have been bulk aging since stabilization and are cloudy (I racked them 3 times over the course of the year)... I followed the FWK directions to a "T" - including adding the provided clearing agents. I am getting ready to bottle - but, again, the wine is not clear.

Please see the attached photos - you can see the suspended sediment in the FWK photo (I always use a small flashlight up against a wineglass to check clarity before bottling). Yesterday I filtered both of these wines through a #2 filter with my buon vino mini jet wine filtration system - and it didn't help (I even ran the Bordeaux through twice). I am looking for ideas on how to clear this wine so I can get it bottled. I could try a mini jet #3 (1u) filter - but I am concerned that this will impact the flavor (has anyone used a #3 filter on red wine?). Or - can anyone recommend any additives to try on a finished, ready to bottle, wine. These have been sitting for almost a year so I don't think "give it some more time" is going to work. Has anyone else experienced issues like this with the FWK's? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Clear Wine.jpg
    Clear Wine.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 1
  • FWK Wine.jpg
    FWK Wine.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 1
I use a 1 micron filter on all my wines, I have seen no ill effect. IIRC you have to get below .5 micron to start filtering out color & flavor.
Thanks! Just curious— what filtration system do you use?

Something is hanging the particles in suspension. Did you vacuum degas? I'd try that before filtering a red wine...
They've been in a carboy for a year, *should* have degassed naturally in that time frame unless there was still some fermentation going on. According to the OP the directions were closely followed, so there should have been no extra fermentation. I have been making FWK kits since the start and have had no issues like this.

Now OP - you could spin up some more Kieselsol/Chitosan and see what falls out.

Thanks! I did degas when I stabilized, and I have the AIO wine pump (vacuum) and used that each time I racked the wine
If you decide to filter, go to the AIO wine pump site, there is a link there to get the whole house filter set up. Poly spun filters are the easiest I have tried, so far.

Last edited:
Kits shouldn't have a pectin problem, but I'd dose with pectic enzyme as there is no side effect.

Another possibility is protein haze. The treatment for that is bentonite, which can strip color. Consider adding a half dose of bentonite.

Note -- I recall reading that bentonite was added to kits to treat protein haze and that adding prior to fermentation limits or prevents the color stripping.

Kits shouldn't have a pectin problem, but I'd dose with pectic enzyme as there is no side effect.

Another possibility is protein haze. The treatment for that is bentonite, which can strip color. Consider adding a half dose of bentonite.

Note -- I recall reading that bentonite was added to kits to treat protein haze and that adding prior to fermentation limits or prevents the color stripping.
Thanks for your advice! I am quite sure that these FWK kits did not come with bentonite. They might have added it to the current kits (I will have two new kits arrive later today and I will check it out). My plan is to degas a bit and then hit it with a dose of Kieselsol and Chitosan. If that doesn't work I will try the pectic enzyme - and then filter it with a 1u filter if needed.

Thanks for your advice! I am quite sure that these FWK kits did not come with bentonite. They might have added it to the current kits (I will have two new kits arrive later today and I will check it out). My plan is to degas a bit and then hit it with a dose of Kieselsol and Chitosan. If that doesn't work I will try the pectic enzyme - and then filter it with a 1u filter if needed.
Nope, FWK don't include bentonite. If you have pectin or protein haze, I don't believe fining will make any difference, and I suspect filtering won't, either.

Just out of curiosity, did you use tap water to make these wines or filtered water?

For what it's worth, I've been using an AIO wine pump with 5 micron filter without issue. It speeds up the racking process significantly. I like that the vaccum it pulls helps to degass the wine. I would assume after a year bulk aging, the wine would be degassed naturally but I'm no expert.

Also, did you allow the K&C sufficient time to drop sediment before racking? If you racked too early, that might also cause issues.

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

The phenol content in most red grapes is high enough to stabilize protein, making protein haze in red wine less of a concern. The addition of oak helps as well. Anyway, you could test if bentonite helps on a small sample, take a 100 ml sample and add 0,1-0,2 g bentonite to it.

Just out of curiosity, did you use tap water to make these wines or filtered water?

For what it's worth, I've been using an AIO wine pump with 5 micron filter without issue. It speeds up the racking process significantly. I like that the vaccum it pulls helps to degass the wine. I would assume after a year bulk aging, the wine would be degassed naturally but I'm no expert.

Also, did you allow the K&C sufficient time to drop sediment before racking? If you racked too early, that might also cause issues.

Good luck, hope you figure it out.
Thanks for your input! I used spring water. I also use the AIO wine pump for every transfer - it’s a great tool. I let the wine sit in the carboy for about 3 months between stabilization (when K&C were added) and the first racking…

Latest posts

Back