Other Finer Wine kit Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked mine today for the first time and I am still very disappointed in the color, which is way off for a Sauvignon Blanc. The taste is not all that great either and tastes nothing like an SB. I am beginning to think the juice was at least partially oxidized somewhere in the process.

View attachment 83099
I bottled min a couple of weeks ago and mine was the same - way to dark for a Sauv Blanc and really flabby (for lack of a better term) with none of the zip I tend to find in good commercial Sauv Blancs - Likely to be a dumper and my last Finer white until they resolve this oxidation

I start fermentation tomorrow. The juice is dark but smells great. I'll keep you informed of my progress. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the carboy.

Hmm. Is there really an oxidation problem? How did the oxidation occur during the fermentation process? Curious if exposing carboy to sunlight might lighten the color of wine to be closer to the color one may prefer?

Pitched the yeast today. Hoping for some action tomorrow and adding the nutrient Wednesday.

I start the Zin Thursday. Anyone bottled the FWK Zin yet?

Hmm. Is there really an oxidation problem? How did the oxidation occur during the fermentation process?
My FWK Chardonnay is dark in the carboy:

fwk-2022-01-10-01.jpg

This is NOT oxidation, it's simply a dark colored wine. In the glass, the wine is a very nice color, maybe a bit darker than the typical Chardonnay, but within normal parameters:

fwk-2022-01-10-02.jpg

The nose and taste, for a 2 month old wine, are nice. I'm expecting good things from this one.

My FWK Chardonnay is dark in the carboy:

View attachment 83185

This is NOT oxidation, it's simply a dark colored wine. In the glass, the wine is a very nice color, maybe a bit darker than the typical Chardonnay, but within normal parameters:

View attachment 83183

The nose and taste, for a 2 month old wine, are nice. I'm expecting good things from this one.

The glass color looks great. I hope mine looks that good. Day 2 of fermentation and the yeast is slowing down. I'm assuming that's because of lower temps at night, 65 degrees.

Nope, you will oxidize the wine. Sunlight is as much your wine's enemy as O2.
I'm new to winemaking and started out with using concentrates. I have read a lot about keeping temps at 65-70* but I'm in Northern AZ and it has been in the 50s in the day. I keep my house about 68-70* but have been leaving my jar to ferment in the sunshine to keep it warmer. Is that bad? It's been fermenting ok, but not sure of the effects of direct sunlight. Thx for any advice

The glass color looks great. I hope mine looks that good. Day 2 of fermentation and the yeast is slowing down. I'm assuming that's because of lower temps at night, 65 degrees.
If the temperature varies much (up or down) that can affect the yeast. A stable temperature is best, although for many of us, it's difficult to do.

I'm new to winemaking and started out with using concentrates. I have read a lot about keeping temps at 65-70* but I'm in Northern AZ and it has been in the 50s in the day. I keep my house about 68-70* but have been leaving my jar to ferment in the sunshine to keep it warmer. Is that bad? It's been fermenting ok, but not sure of the effects of direct sunlight. Thx for any advice
During fermentation sunlight is not an issue, especially if fermenting in an opaque container. It's a short period, whereas bulk aging is much longer. While I have no evidence, I suspect the wine is more subject to sun damage after it clears, as the light touches more of the wine as the suspended lees is not blocking it.

It's more important to keep a stable temperature. As I said above, maintaining an ideal temperature is tough, and IMO it's better to have a stable temperature than an ideal one. The FWK I started in November fermented at 63-66 F and did fine, and I've fermented whites at 58 F.

Back