Other Finer Wine kit Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have a glass of the WE Eclipse sauvignon blanc in my hand that is a good example of an unoaked NZ sauvignon blanc that compares well with a good $10 commercial bottle. No kit taste and around 18 months since started. Would be interested to hear how the FWK sauvignon blancs compare.
I just picked up a WE Marlboro SB this week. First time I have bought a wine kit on Craigslist. I got the SB and a WE PR Nebbiolo along with some misc. equipment and some beer bottles for $50. I have turned down CL kits before because I was unsure of their handling but these looked to be in like new condition and from this year so I'm calling that a win. Anyway, I will start the SB this weekend and it will be about a month behind the FWK one I have clearing.

I just picked up a WE Marlboro SB this week. First time I have bought a wine kit on Craigslist. I got the SB and a WE PR Nebbiolo along with some misc. equipment and some beer bottles for $50. I have turned down CL kits before because I was unsure of their handling but these looked to be in like new condition and from this year so I'm calling that a win. Anyway, I will start the SB this weekend and it will be about a month behind the FWK one I have clearing.
Phil, I would not call that a "win," but I would call it a "steal!" It looks like you got about $250 worth of wine kits (even at Label Peelers best price) along with some equipment. Good for you.

I just picked up a WE Marlboro SB this week. First time I have bought a wine kit on Craigslist. I got the SB and a WE PR Nebbiolo along with some misc. equipment and some beer bottles for $50.
Wow! How is that even possible?

I think his wife told him to downsize. I had to take some stuff I didn't really want but it was worth it. I buy semi-regularly on CS and have seen kits offered from time to time. They are usually cheap, old and beat to hell. I knew what these were when I saw the photo so jumped on them. I thought I was done fermenting for the year.:db

I purchased a used #40 press using Facebook Marketplace two years ago. The couple had made wine for years, but stopped, and had just moved. Why they advertised equipment AFTER they moved is beyond me. I got the press, 2 demijohns (25 and 54 liter), 75 corks, hundreds of capsules, and miscellaneous junk (including a double-lever corker that was more rust than steel) for 40% of the price of a new press. The press is in great shape, so it alone was worth the price.

It's a specialized market -- I'm the only one that called them, and when I offered a bit less than they were asking, they jumped on it.

Fine Wines have stated in the past that if the kits says Sauvignon Blanc, then it is 100% Sauvignon Blanc. My guess is that they let it sit on the skins for some period of time while processing it and it picked up a bit more color from them. or something like that. Nothing at all to worry about.
My experience and understanding are white grapes are pressed after harvest and normally do not come in contact with the skins as red wines do. I was a volunteer worker (really a neighbor) at a winery in New York and all white grapes were harvested, crushed and the juice only was fermented without contact with the skins. My understanding is this is typical of white wines.

@G259, "Go to the store, all Chardonnay is not the same color."

Agreed, but they vary in a narrower range. I would not see a Chardonnay that is the dark color of my wine except for a bottle that was oxidized.

I was a volunteer worker (really a neighbor) at a winery in New York and all white grapes were harvested, crushed and the juice only was fermented without contact with the skins. My understanding is this is typical of white wines.
This is normal, although "no contact" can last several hours, depending on circumstances.

My experience with kits other than FWK is that white color can vary from "typical", e.g., clear, to somewhat dark. This is due to processing of the concentrate.

My Chardonnay and my son's Riesling are both darker than anticipated. I'll be satisfied if the wines smell and taste fine, but agree that a lighter color is preferred.

Opened up my Sangiovese , FWK… it was very good about 8 mos. Old at present.
I used there grape pac, reset the abv, to 13% added 1/2 cup of raisins to the primary plus. Tannins .
In the secondary I added more tannins ( no oak chips) and let it’s sit for a month ,then cleared and bottled.
Next tasting is of the Shara’s completed at the same time and bottled.

Here is the reply that I just received from Matt at Label Peelers. As we would expect, they are heavily engaged in finding the cause and the solution to this issue. I have always been pleased with the service and products that I have received from Label Peelers and I am confident that they will resolve this.

"Sorry to take so long to get back to you. We have been working with the FWK staff and the Concentrate Supplier to figure out a solution to this issue. We have been following these threads as well. That forum is awesome. I have followed it for years and it is a great place for beginners as well as experienced winemaker to share their experiences. I love the fact that the experienced winemaker don't denigrate the beginners when they ask questions and instead offer helpful advice. I have been making wine for 40 years now and I still learn stuff on there.

I will reach back out to you very soon with what we figure out and I also wanted to mention to you that the FWK staff has been super concerned about customer satisfaction of their new line of wine kits and backs their products up 100%. I know that it doesn't get you your time back but they will refund your entire cost plus shipping or replace it with the kit of your choice if you are not 100% satisfied once we figure out what might be going on.

Have a great day!

Matt Pruszynski"

Thank you for your faith and good will. This issue is front and center for Finer wine kits right now. We really appreciate your understanding and patience.

Here is the reply that I just received from Matt at Label Peelers. As we would expect, they are heavily engaged in finding the cause and the solution to this issue. I have always been pleased with the service and products that I have received from Label Peelers and I am confident that they will resolve this.

"Sorry to take so long to get back to you. We have been working with the FWK staff and the Concentrate Supplier to figure out a solution to this issue. We have been following these threads as well. That forum is awesome. I have followed it for years and it is a great place for beginners as well as experienced winemaker to share their experiences. I love the fact that the experienced winemaker don't denigrate the beginners when they ask questions and instead offer helpful advice. I have been making wine for 40 years now and I still learn stuff on there.

I will reach back out to you very soon with what we figure out and I also wanted to mention to you that the FWK staff has been super concerned about customer satisfaction of their new line of wine kits and backs their products up 100%. I know that it doesn't get you your time back but they will refund your entire cost plus shipping or replace it with the kit of your choice if you are not 100% satisfied once we figure out what might be going on.

Have a great day!

Matt Pruszynski"

I was wondering if the 'color' issue is centered around a specific series (ie. Tavolta, Forte, etc.)?

Yeah, after all my whining it came out pretty nice. Flavor is great too for so young. I have a WE Private Reserve Sauvignon Blanc in clearing that is about a month behind this one. It will be a good comaprison in 6 months or so.

I racked mine today for the first time and I am still very disappointed in the color, which is way off for a Sauvignon Blanc. The taste is not all that great either and tastes nothing like an SB. I am beginning to think the juice was at least partially oxidized somewhere in the process.

100_1847.JPG

I was wondering if the 'color' issue is centered around a specific series (ie. Tavolta, Forte, etc.)?
It seems to be only in the white varieties, and I don't think there are any whites in the Forte series. Interestingly, all of the whites from the Tavola series have been removed from the offerings at Label Peelers. They have been working on the issue for more than a month now with no word or progress reports. That is disconcerting.

Thank you for your faith and good will. This issue is front and center for Finer wine kits right now. We really appreciate your understanding and patience.
Matteo, is there anything you can tell us or any progress reporting available on the search for a solution to the "off-color" issue with the whites? Could it be oxidation? I have racked my SB and the color is still way off. The taste is not what I would consider "characteristic" of an SB. I realize that the wine is young, but it would have to undergo a major change in both taste and appearance to bring it to an expected level.

Latest posts

Back