Other Finer Wine kit Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ls anyone making this kit? I have it going right now and I am concerned about the color. It is an amber color rather than the pale straw color that I have made with other kits and Sauvignon Blanc that I have drunk. I am a little concerned but it is still early. Sorry the pictures are so dark, but you should be able to see my concern.

100_1830.JPG100_1831.JPG

I would ask Label Peelers. It does not look right. Maybe a bad batch?

I just ordered this kit and a Zinfendal. It's been a long time since I made a batch, so I am rusty, but your wine looks way to dark.

Please keep us informed of the outcome.

@Rocky I have the same concern. I am currently clearing a Riesling and a Sauv Blanc. The Riesling is darker than has been my experience but the SB is even darker. I have been told that color does not affect flavor or nose so the concern is aesthetic but still.
1638366350881.png

I have a FWK Chardonnay and an FWK Sauv Blanc underway. Both are much darker than I am used to with kits and grapes. I recently racked into secondary and had a little taste of both and am quite excited to see the final results

Thanks to all for your comments and insight. I did send a question to Label Peelers and received this response:

"Thank you for your order. The wine will lighten with time but we contacted the FWK Juice Concentrate Supplier about this issue and they indicated that this year's Sauvignon Blanc was in fact darker in color than previous year's harvests. The flavor and aroma are right on but the wine is a bit darker than normal.

Have a great day!

Matt Pruszynski"

The wine does taste okay but the color is way off. I hope it lightens with time. I will update if anything changes.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents it would appear to me if the color of the wine is darker then the structure itself is different also, just my thoughts.
Then the question would be what are the grapes being used??

Just my 2 cents it would appear to me if the color of the wine is darker then the structure itself is different also, just my thoughts.
Then the question would be what are the grapes being used??

Fine Wines have stated in the past that if the kits says Sauvignon Blanc, then it is 100% Sauvignon Blanc. My guess is that they let it sit on the skins for some period of time while processing it and it picked up a bit more color from them. or something like that. Nothing at all to worry about.

Fine Wines have stated in the past that if the kits says Sauvignon Blanc, then it is 100% Sauvignon Blanc. My guess is that they let it sit on the skins for some period of time while processing it and it picked up a bit more color from them. or something like that. Nothing at all to worry about.

A newer company ramping up production, will usually have timing problems, but I don't think this is a big issue. I have a Chardonnay going, and I said the same think "I expected it to be lighter in color". As long as the taste is there however, a minor issue at most. Go to the store, all Chardonnay is not the same color.

My FW Sauvignon is 5 months old and it’s still the color of strong ice tea. My friend calls it Bourbon Wine because it’s so dark and oaky. I don’t like my white wines with oak so this is not my favorite.

My FW Sauvignon is 5 months old and it’s still the color of strong ice tea. My friend calls it Bourbon Wine because it’s so dark and oaky. I don’t like my white wines with oak so this is not my favorite.
Interesting, I used the oak that came with the kit in the primary fermentation hoping it would not impart oak flavoring. I hope I was right. The concentrate was dark from the beginning so I wasn't thinking the oak had anything to do with it.

yes, I agree with everything you said! Mine is a little over 5 months old and is getting a bit lighter. The flavor is changing and losing some of the oak, so it may turn out to be much better than expected.

I have a couple of FWK reds in various stages, but too young to comment on regarding quality. Regarding a Sauvignon Blanc, I currently have a glass of the WE Eclipse sauvignon blanc in my hand that is a good example of an unoaked NZ sauvignon blanc that compares well with a good $10 commercial bottle. No kit taste and around 18 months since started. Would be interested to hear how the FWK sauvignon blancs compare.

the color of strong ice tea. My friend calls it Bourbon Wine because it’s so dark and oaky.
Huh, doesn't sound as it's crisp, elegant, and fresh as I expect a Sauvignon blanc to be. Color do matter to me (at least)
WE Eclipse sauvignon blanc in my hand that is a good example of an unoaked NZ sauvignon blanc
Agreed

Interesting thread. I do like oaked SB so was pleased when this kit included a small amount of oak chips. As has been noted the must from this is much darker than I am used to. I also started a FW Chard at the same time and it, too, is much darker than I am used to. Also, both batches are clearing more slowly than I am used to.

The wine is clearing nicely but the color is still way, way off. I am extremely disappointed in this wine kit and I won't buy another. As Carrie Smith pointed out, it looks like strong iced tea. I understand that some people really don't mind as long as the wine tastes fine, but I don't completely agree with that sentiment. If I am serving this to friends, I would want it to look like Sauvignon Blanc. Appearance does have some importance.

Latest posts

Back