Fine Vine Wines Closing Their Doors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sad to see them go, just got this news in an email:

Effective November 30th 2018

Fine Fine Wines and Dallas Home are closing.

This has been a tough decision for Janna, her family, and the staff here at Fine Vine Wines and Dallas Home Brew. George sold his first wine kit March 3rd, 2003. Rick has worked for George for 10 years and I, Brian, have worked for George for the last 9 years.

George has had a large impact on a lot of people's lives, both customers and former employees. He has helped thousands of people get into the hobby of wine making through his advice and love of wine. He has had customers that have started as amature home wine makers that have gone on to open wineries. He has had customers and employees that have moved from home brewers to professional brewers. He enjoyed watching people grow with the hobby and took great pride in their growth.

His loss on November 2nd is a large part of the reason we made the decision to close, but not the only reason. The entire home wine and beer making hobby has been in a slump for well over a year. Many have noticed that it has taken us longer to get stock back in than it used to and sales or lack thereof have been part of the reason. George and I had talked about this possibility even before he went in for his surgery.

I would like to thank every one of our customers on behalf of George, his family and the Staff here at Fine Vine Wines. I know George, and the rest of us, have enjoyed the 15+ years helping everyone make the best wine and beer they possibly could.

Brian, Jana and Rick

I'm sorry to see them close as well, they were the only place I purchased from. Does anyone have any online retailers you can recommend to purchase the yearly limited edition kits, or other reliable retailers? I've used Label Peelers once or twice and had great experiences, but most of these online shops don't carry all manufacturers like Fine Vine Wines did. Thanks.

So sad for sure. Hopefully when one door closes another will open somewhere else. Lets hope so.

I got that sad email too as I've been buying from him for years. They were unique in carrying Mosti, RJS, Winexpert, and Cellar craft. I don't know of any others...

I had noticed that most of the kits had been out of stock for quite some time.

Was really sad to hear this. I was really hoping someone in the family or one of the guys that'd been with him for years would pick up the business. I didn't realize there has been a slump in the wine and beer making business. George built up quite a business and was unique in that he carried all the major lines. This was great, as options seem to be limited for Cellar Craft, RJS and Mosti.

Same here on all your comments! I'm really sorry to see them go, and I had no idea there was a slump. There hasn't been a slump in my small corner of the market.
I had ordered two of the RJS restricted quantities. Anybody have a recommendation on who else to try?

I've been buying from George for 8 - 10 years & was really depressed when he passed, and now this happens. I'm a big Mosti fan and I'm just afraid I'm going to be out of luck. No one seems to ever have matched his shipping and overall pricing. I emailed Mosti & asked them who else I could buy from and they just pointed me to Brewcraft, whose website shows who they sell to but I've been in some of those stores and have never seen Mosti product. Brewcraft better step up or Mosti is going to take big hit.

I'm super bummed by this news followed by the profound news of George's passing. I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision for family and staff. In the wake, anyone know where to get Mosti and Passport Series 2019 kits? Mine were back ordered. I need another supplier.

I got my first kit, and loads of equipment through them. Always ncie on phone, even for the most basic questions.

Through the years I've had personal contact with George and he always came through.his product was always on time and if there was a problem he corrected it.
I think if you look at the pricing of wine kits, you can see why the decline and the rise in making cheap wine kits has expanded.
George will be missed that's for sure .

Homebrew4less seems to have mosti on their website.

Yes they do, unfortunately they want $44 to ship one kit, which tells me they are not interested in internet sales. Everyone carries WineExpert, I have found 1 or 2 for RJS and these all offer free shipping (yeah I know shipping isn't free, but it's not $44 either). I think everyone should press Mosti by sending them an email and asking where to buy their kits. Since it's so hard to find anyone selling them how do they stay in business?

Yes they do, unfortunately they want $44 to ship one kit, which tells me they are not interested in internet sales. Everyone carries WineExpert, I have found 1 or 2 for RJS and these all offer free shipping (yeah I know shipping isn't free, but it's not $44 either). I think everyone should press Mosti by sending them an email and asking where to buy their kits. Since it's so hard to find anyone selling them how do they stay in business?

Not sure where your located in the USA, but look up “Vintner’s Cellar” there are locations across the states and they will carry all the Mosti products. I don’t know if they will ship but a location may be close by if you like mosti products. They will be Vintners cellar branded but these are all mosti products.

Latest posts

Back