Find the necklace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemanden

Reaction score
The Colonel was dancing with a young American girl whose necklace became unfastened and slipped down the back of her dress. She asked him to retrieve the jewelery for her. Being English he was embarrassed, but being a gentleman he did as she asked. "I'm sorry," he said, "but I can't seem to reach it." "Try further down ," she said. At this point he became aware that everyone in the room was watching him. "I say, " he whispered in her ear, "I feel a perfect ass,' "Never mind that," she replied, "Just get the necklace."

Does that joke work in the UK? The woman does not have a perfect "ass" for an "Englishman". She might have a perfect arse but in the UK an arse and an ass are never confused.

Does that joke work in the UK? The woman does not have a perfect "ass" for an "Englishman". She might have a perfect arse but in the UK an arse and an ass are never confused.

Well, it would work in the UK as long as the audience is savvy enough to know that other parts of the English-speaking world refer to fundaments as "asses." If not, and IF what you say is true, then, no, it won't work there.

The fact that it was posted by a denizen of the UK seems to suggest that it would work there....

Last edited:
Back