WineXpert Finally started our first batch!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimnjan

Junior
Reaction score
My wife and I got brave and started our 1st batch yesterday, 2/14/09 (Her birthday, a Valentine's baby!)
We chose the "World Vineyard, California Trinity Red" wine kit on a suggestion from cpfan from our introductory post. Thanks for the suggestion, this blend sounds delicious!
Time finished: 8:00 A.M.
Temp: 69 degrees
Hydrometer reading: 1.088
Expected Alcohol content: 12%

It was very easy after reading many threads on this forum & asking a few questions. Thanks for all the help everyone.
I'm going to start a thread under bottling & corking also. I have another question.
Jim & Jan

jim&jan

VERY GOOD!

I haven't made that kit, but have heard a lot of positives about it. Wouldn't mind doing it one of these days, but there are SO MANY kits that I would like to make.

Steve

Also 1st timer with question

Started my first batch last week. Directions stated to wait 5 to 7 days then check SG. SG started at 1.09 as kit said it should. After the 5 to 7 days SG should be around 1.01. It's been 7 days and is 1.03 I'm assuming patience is all that's required, just a nervous newbie?

Temps will usually play a major factor in this and Im gussing that your temps are a little lower then what is called for which isnt bad at this stage but would increase towards the end if this is the case as it could stop early as the yeast gets weaker due to the abv. A slow ferment is usually better with a white or fruit wine. It is also a good idea to get the temp up to around 74* F for the degassing stage and fining stage.

I'm getting excited now! After 1 1/2 days the batch was fizzing really well!
Checked temp. this morning & it was up to 80 degrees, so I unplugged the brew belt. Will check temp again tonight when I wake up (3rd shifter).
Jim

I just racked this kit into a clean carboy for some bulk aging and of course I had a little taste. Yum Yum Yum.... so far (at this stage)this is my favorite kit, even better than my italian dolcetto was. We will see in the end though.

Latest posts

Back