Finally fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleguy

Junior
Reaction score
New to this whole wine making and decided to do a batch of strawberry wine for a request from a buddy. 6 gallon batch with 12 lbs of strawberries that I boiled and 10lbs of sugar. Added my campdon tabs and waited 24 hrs. Pitched my yeast and nothing after 48 hrs. Pitched a second batch of yeast [ 71B ] and after another 12 hrs nothing. Just kept stirring it 3 times a day and finally to my surprise I woke up this morning to a volcano in my 6 gallon pail and one hell of a mess....happy moment for me as I was loosing hope on the batch.
On another note I wanted to know if anyone has made maple syrup wine ? I've got a maple syrup business and this was the reason to get into the wine hobby. I've got 3 different syrup batches going and seems to be fermenting out nice. I'll have to back sweeten I believe since it's maple sweetness is gone. Any suggestions would be great !
Hoping to capitalize on a recipe of maple syrup wine that's drinkable and sellable for a new market for maple syrup product. Thanks guys you all have alot of info on this forum.
Quote ReplyReport Edit

Preview
Attach files

I have tasted/ judged maple syrup wine a hand full of times. The flavor tends to be smoky, roasted notes, unusual, not fruity/ aromatic. Yes the sweet notes can be gone. I wonder why club members haven’t added vanilla or other aromatic to fill it out.

The fermentation is done following a dilution scheme like a mead, therefore mead recipes are a place to start. The question I pose is what would you like it to taste like? , , , By itself maple syrup is sugar but doesn’t have substantial pH or TA. (2018 mine pH 5.55/ TA 0.03%) (a student‘s syrup pH 5.92 / TA 0.03%). Likely you will need substantial acid which opens up adding a fruit, or natural acid or a stronger chemical acid as phosphoric (keeping the TA low). As a start I would do a few bench trials of syrup in white wine or grain alcohol or juices to find complementary flavors. , , , , An interesting project.

I have tasted/ judged maple syrup wine a hand full of times. The flavor tends to be smoky, roasted notes, unusual, not fruity/ aromatic. Yes the sweet notes can be gone. I wonder why club members haven’t added vanilla or other aromatic to fill it out.

The fermentation is done following a dilution scheme like a mead, therefore mead recipes are a place to start. The question I pose is what would you like it to taste like? , , , By itself maple syrup is sugar but doesn’t have substantial pH or TA. (2018 mine pH 5.55/ TA 0.03%) (a student‘s syrup pH 5.92 / TA 0.03%). Likely you will need substantial acid which opens up adding a fruit, or natural acid or a stronger chemical acid as phosphoric (keeping the TA low). As a start I would do a few bench trials of syrup in white wine or grain alcohol or juices to find complementary flavors. , , , , An interesting project.
I've got a few batches in the making and have added one with oranges, one with white grapes and oranges and one with cherry and also I did one with peaches. Not so much looking for total sweet syrup favored wine but a way to push some more syrup usage for my maple syrup business.

The maple peach one I have is sitting at 1.012 and actually taste very good at this point but as far as sweetness its getting dry but we will see how it turns out and after it ages a bit. I'm planning on back sweetening to get preferred flavor. Having fun playing with this wine stuff tho !!

Latest posts

Back