Finally built my wine rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul,

I liked your article on circle packing, but I missed the part where they said that harlequin diamonds were the best for storing wine. :)

Well, since it is Wikipedia, perhaps I should go add that bit to the article! :) :sm

I've got a cellar project on the docket for this winter, I hope to use your prints to get something half as nice. I'll post up m efforts as they get underway.

Cool! Good luck with the project, and let me know if there is any more information I can provide....

Thanks for the pointers and new factoids on the most efficient way to group non-intersecting circles on a plane. Is this related to how many non-intersecting snakes you can get on a plane?

....uhhh, except perhaps this information! ;)

Sour grapes it is your design that I love!! The picture you have of it partially filled is beautiful and I have just the spot in mind for it to go!

We recently moved so it presented an opportunity to make a new cellar. I built ladder racks using the design from “The Homebuilt Winery” book and the diamond racks from @sourgrapes. Thank you for the drawings and notes! anks f

Looks like you nailed it! (Believe it or not, that is what came to my mind before recognizing the awful pun.)

I really liked it, and that was before I saw the harlequin diamonds or saw my name mentioned. Very nice!

I have a couple small store bought racks, then another that I built. I don’t have a wine a cellar, so I had to use what I had, which was a spare bedroom/study.
I went to Tractor Supply and purchased a whole length of what I believe is goat wire. Heavy gauge welded wire used for fencing or gates. 1x12 planks at top and bottom with spacers thought out. Top makes a great shelf for collectibles. This one goes to the floor and holds 220+ bottles.
We keep our house thermostat set at 72*, so it all stays fairly cool. I also have insulated drapes over the two windows in my “wine room”.

096DE837-9E25-48A9-9654-28907D87F36F.jpeg96098E39-50AE-4246-A48A-3B48E4E69F1A.jpeg87BD5EF6-A815-4FE8-91C9-C6EF86DEF6EF.jpeg

Oh, it just occurred to me to post a picture of the rack "filled out" a little:

View attachment 16045
Bringing back an old thread. I was debating on changing my racks from 90° to 60° and my curiosity got the best of me. If I did the math right changing to 60° will give me 13% more capacity. Now I have to decide whether or not I want to take on the project. It's a lot of work but it would allow me to store 100 additional bottles.

Bringing back an old thread. I was debating on changing my racks from 90° to 60° and my curiosity got the best of me. If I did the math right changing to 60° will give me 13% more capacity. Now I have to decide whether or not I want to take on the project. It's a lot of work but it would allow me to store 100 additional bottles.

Good. It should be more like 14-15%, but I am splitting hairs. The 60º arrangement should take up sqrt(3)/2 ≈ 0.866 as much space as the square arrangement. Or, said the other way around, you should be able to fit 2/sqrt(3) ≈ 1.154 times as many bottles (~15% more).

Funny that you bring this up. I am going to look at a new house to possibly buy today, and last night I was thinking about whether I would rebuild my wine closet just the same or make any changes.

One thing that I am not happy about in general, and I am not sure of the solution, is the way that Burgundy bottles are stored. They are kinda precarious. I started using that foamy shelf-liner stuff to increase friction between bottles. What do you do about Burgundies?

Good. It should be more like 14-15%, but I am splitting hairs. The 60º arrangement should take up sqrt(3)/2 ≈ 0.866 as much space as the square arrangement. Or, said the other way around, you should be able to fit 2/sqrt(3) ≈ 1.154 times as many bottles (~15% more).

Funny that you bring this up. I am going to look at a new house to possibly buy today, and last night I was thinking about whether I would rebuild my wine closet just the same or make any changes.

One thing that I am not happy about in general, and I am not sure of the solution, is the way that Burgundy bottles are stored. They are kinda precarious. I started using that foamy shelf-liner stuff to increase friction between bottles. What do you do about Burgundies?
I wonder if Burgundy is a specific shape, i.e. base to shoulder. I don't seem to have a problem with the ones I get. Hock on the other hand are a problem.

I wonder if Burgundy is a specific shape, i.e. base to shoulder. I don't seem to have a problem with the ones I get. Hock on the other hand are a problem.

I'm using "Burgundy" sorta generically. Most of these were from cheap US wines of varieties like Chardonnay or Viognier, that are typically marketed in a Burgundy-type bottle.

Yes, Hock. Those don't store well. Good thing I don't use 'em! :)

What do you do about Burgundies?
I give them away, using all Bordeaux bottles since they stack nicely. Burgundy/Chardonnay bottles vary too much in shape to be safe for stacking.

I also give away the Bordeaux bottles that are wider at the top. They stack fine, but only first certain cases when storing empties. In the past I had to use both Burgundy and those wide-shouldered Bordeaux, but I've got enough now that I use up the odd ones and give them away first.

I give them away, using all Bordeaux bottles since they stack nicely. Burgundy/Chardonnay bottles vary too much in shape to be safe for stacking.

I also give away the Bordeaux bottles that are wider at the top. They stack fine, but only first certain cases when storing empties. In the past I had to use both Burgundy and those wide-shouldered Bordeaux, but I've got enough now that I use up the odd ones and give them away first.

My problem is that it pains me to bottle a Chard or a Pinot Gris or Noir in a Bordeaux bottle. I realize this is a prison of my own making, but that is the way it is! :)

My problem is that it pains me to bottle a Chard or a Pinot Gris or Noir in a Bordeaux bottle. I realize this is a prison of my own making, but that is the way it is! :)
I bottled the Chardonnay for my son's wedding reception in new Chardonnay bottles, and quickly discovered that they don't stack well. Ditto for Elderberry in Burgundy bottles.

Practicality wins out over aesthetics. At least for me.

All whites have white capsules while reds have a variety of colors.

I bottled the Chardonnay for my son's wedding reception in new Chardonnay bottles, and quickly discovered that they don't stack well. Ditto for Elderberry in Burgundy bottles.
Yep. If the bottle size or shape causes issues they go in the recycling! Plain Jane bottles for me please. I keep a few odds and ends 375’s around for wine testing purposes but that’s all.

I like the doors. Keep your "valuables" safe and locked up!!

I used to have that same prison (@sour_grapes), but have decided I like all my bottles looking the same and the Bordeaux bottles stack everywhere so nicely, that's all I go with now. All Burgundy bottles go straight to the recycle, wine type doesn't matter. But I do still grumble just a little bit about it.

Here's a new one to me. Evidently there is also a Rhone bottle to join the bunch. Similar to Burgundy used with GSM and Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Yeah, there is also a very similar bottle for the Loire Valley (called a ligérienne). How did I come to learn this? Because I found a Sauvignon Blanc in a "Burgundy bottle" (or so I thought). This freaked me out, because Sauv Blanc is obviously a Bordeaux variety, right? But, of course, I was dumb and they grow SB in other places in France.

https://www.vinsvaldeloire.fr/en/tips-advanced-tasters

Yeah, there is also a very similar bottle for the Loire Valley (called a ligérienne). How did I come to learn this? Because I found a Sauvignon Blanc in a "Burgundy bottle" (or so I thought). This freaked me out, because Sauv Blanc is obviously a Bordeaux variety, right? But, of course, I was dumb and they grow SB in other places in France.
I prefer Loire whites to Bordeaux whites.

There are numerous lesser areas that are not well known, but are very good.

Well, we did it. We bought a new house. It has a huge basement, but I am going to be starting over!

Latest posts

Back