RJ Spagnols Final SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
This Thursday the 18th will be the 28th day that my kit says to bottle. They also want you to take a final SG. But since im going to age this wine, and keep it in the secondary for a few month's, do I still need to check the SG for the last time?

I always measure SG everytime I touch or move the wine. Once its stable for two readings there is no need to measure. Generally around .990 to 1.00.

Thanks MN-Winer, But this thursday, do I need to check the SG, or can I just leave it alone in the secondary till im ready to bottle or add more k-meta.

As mn-winer said, it's always best to check your gravity, if only for future reference and to gain more knowledge of the process. However it won't hurt a thing to let your wine sit without taking a gravity reading. The reason the instructions say to check is just to make sure fermentation is complete prior to bottling.

OK, Thank you guys. I know wht your trying to tell me. I was also thinking that if the air doesn't have to touch the wine, why chance it for a reading if im not ready to bottle.

John,

The kits direct you to do this as they are assuming you're following the 4 week regimen. The directions to check SG at that stage are assuming you're going to bottle and it'd be your final opportunity. It's fun to take a kit and try different things with it (such as bulk aging) and seeing how much BETTER you can make it. Bulk aging is one of the best ways of making a positive impact in the final product. Patience certainly IS a virtue in the hobby, glad to see you have it.

Darren

They will have you checking the Sg to make sure the wine
is dry. That is needed before bottling. A wine with residual sugar may re-ferment in the bottle and the bottles can pop the corks or worse.....

However as you are bulk aging in the carboy there is indeed no need to check final gravity at this time.

Luc

Back