Final check on things before I make my first batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
So there are just a few things I wanted to make sure of before I start my first batch this weekend. I know everything won't go exactly according to plan, but I just don't want to screw things up too bad!

1.) Primary fermentation: The towel vs lid debate. The kit says to seal it, use the airlock and stir multiple times to introduce O2, but I've seen a lot of people say they use a towel just to keep the critters and dust out, followed by the lid once it reaches a certain SG. If a towel is used, do you not stir as much so you don't introduce too much oxygen? In the end I'm sure it's personal preference though :)

2.) Secondary fermentation then clearing: Would investing in a second carboy for the clearing stage be advisable instead of racking back into the bucket, sanitizing, then racking into the carboy? Again, personal preference.

Again, many thanks to everyone's wonderful input! I plan on documenting my journey every step of the way. :)

If you use the airlock, make sure you have plenty of room in your primary fermenter. When it gets to rock and rollin the must can grow up the sides of the primary a couple of inches or more. I recommend put the primary in a larger container, especially if you are fermenting over some kind of nice flooring. If it overflows, it is easy to clean up that way. The towel makes it easy to stir, rather than trying to get a snapped on lid off, just remove the towel, stir and place back on.
I would say you would want a second carboy, makes it easier and I am the lazy guy. Want to know the easy way, ask me. :h That is probably how I would do things. Sometimes I change, but the neat thing about this hobby is you can do things the way you want to. As long as what you wind up with is something you like you don't have to worry about what others think.
Need some more wonderful words of wisdom, keep on asking and we will try and help. good luck with your project. Arne.

After pulling the lid off twice a day for a few days youll see why so many use a towel.
And yes, second carboy will simplify racking, and your gona end up wih a few any way so may as well give in and get it.

Latest posts

Back