Filtration using whole house filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surflewis

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. I’m new to wine making but I’ve been brewing beer for years. Trying to minimize new equipment costs I would like to hear the forum’s input on using my beer filtration system for wine. Currently I filter my beer by racking to a keg and then pressure feeding the beer (using CO2) through a Whole House 1 micron filter to another keg. Works well. My concerns are:
1. The keg is only 5gal
2. Will I need to degas again after this? I don’t think the wine will absorb an appreciable amount of CO2 in such a short time. I could let it rest in the keg after and naturally degas under no pressure.
3. Is 1 micron the appropriate size filter? I believe 1 micron removes most yeast in beer.

I think it should work, I don't believe the wine will pick up much in the way of CO2. For red wines, I usually filter only down to 5 micron and whites I go down to 1 micron. I have always read that 0.45 micron Absolute is what it takes to remove all yeast and getting filters that tight are rather expensive. I go for letting time and the clearing, drop-out of the yeast do the vast majority of the work for me.

I have also always believed that you don't filter a cloudy wine, it just clogs the filter and makes more work for you. Filters are for polishing clear wine, not clearing wine.

Back