Filtering?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you filter your wine before bottling

• Total voters

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you filter your wine before bottling? If so what do you use Equipment, and filter size (Micron)?
Thanks
MAC

I filter most of my wines using the Buon Vino Mini Jet filtering machine with #2 filters. Lower end kits I filter sometime and sometimes not depending on how much sediment I see in the carboy.

My most recent filtering session was today when I filtered a 6 gallon (ca. 23 l) batch of WinExpert Three Moons Cabernet.

Just wondering how many of you filter your wine before bottling? If so what do you use Equipment, and filter size (Micron)?
Thanks
MAC
I do all reds and no, never filtered. Wine always perfectly clear and sediment free. But planned to pick up a system for a rosé batch. Haven’t researched types yet. Once purchased I’ll probably filter a red too just to see if it makes a difference.
@Mac60 do you filter?

Just starting so maybe down the road I'll feel the need. My Chardonnay from fall is about to be bottled and it looks pretty clear already. I'll probably never do enough volume to justify the expense for such a small incremental gain.

I do all reds and no, never filtered. Wine always perfectly clear and sediment free. But planned to pick up a system for a rosé batch. Haven’t researched types yet. Once purchased I’ll probably filter a red too just to see if it makes a difference.
@Mac60 do you filter?

You have an Allinone? Just get a whole house filter.

Varely filter any of my wines natural process and time should be enough.
However if problems start to appear in the course of the procedures the filterring might be the corrective action needed.
Time is your partner let it work for you.🍇

I bulk age in carboys or demijohns, at least 12 months for reds and no more than 6 months for whites. Even after those amounts of time, I suppose the wine could be clearer but it looks just fine to me. Taste is what counts. I don't enter contests so "appearance" is not an issue and there is no need to polish the wine.

I used to filter (many moons ago) but now I use a fining agent -- which one depends on the type of wine.

Kit wines come with kieselsol/chitosan, so I use it. Reds from grape I use bentonite. Whites I use kieselsol/chitosan. I've had wines (actually a mead) 10 years in the bottle with no sediment.

I never did, was thinking about starting though. I have one just never used it. Can those who do post pics of their set up?

You Guy are awesome...Thanks for your response's
I have filtered my reds for many years, not even sure why i started doing it. I have used the Buen Vino Super Jet with plate filters and about 3 years ago I switched the AIO wine pump with filter setup 5 micron. That being said for the past 2 years I have been questioning if my process for filtering was needed.
For the past several years my wine have been really clear at the 2nd racking. I really don't see the need and was thinking of not filtering this year. I wanted to see what others here were doing.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I only make reds and I never bottle before a year. I’ve also never noticed any sediment in my finished wines that are over 4 years old at this point.

I’m a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” kind of guy so doubt I’ll ever bother.

All my wines are filtered. Dry barrel-aged reds get 3um and 1um plate&frame. White and sweets also get 0.45um plate&frame plus 0.45um sterile membrane filtering on the way to the bottler. The goal is to ensure there is never any sediment, cloudiness or bottle re-fermentation.

I just posted on another thread about filtering but will post here as well. After wine making since 2011, I finally bought a Buon Vino mini jet. Can’t believe I waited so long. The whites always had the look that they could be just a little clearer. Now, after my first filtering of a Sav. Blanc, I could see and even taste a difference. I also filtered 6 gals of Cab. Sav. It turned out beautiful and cleaner tasting as well. 2B7E8437-4C92-4B4A-8C40-320414B5C35D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back