Filtering Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A company that sells filters and filtering equipment says 2microns is basic finishing, but it takes a 0.5micron filter to remove ALL dead yeast and really polish the wine. I make Red & White and rack 3 times before bottling. Are those micron levels accurate? What’s your recommendation? Also was told I need to soak the filter in a water and citric Acid solution first to avoid a paper or off flavor from happening? Do you agree? Need advice on filtering! Thank you.

the standard for micro is 0.45 micron or less, filters have different ways the measure! nominal let’s the manufacturer say the average is .45 but some cells will still get through, absolute .45 will accurately filter microbes
If the wine is dry, less than 1.000 or better .995 there will be no growth since there is close to no sugar,,, so a 1 or a 2 micron make it pretty, ,,,, you didn’t say if you wanted to back sweeten or where your gravity is

the standard for micro is 0.45 micron or less, filters have different ways the measure! nominal let’s the manufacturer say the average is .45 but some cells will still get through, absolute .45 will accurately filter microbes
If the wine is dry, less than 1.000 or better .995 there will be no growth since there is close to nove le sugar,,, so a 1 or a 2 micron make it pretty, ,,,, you didn’t say if you wanted to back sweeten or where your gravity is
just asking so i know,,,, your say and i''ve learned to believe you, are you saying some,, not all that strict @ .45 would let a sweet wine kick back up, but a lab grade @ .45 would stop all threats, now since i rush nothing,, this is mute,, and i know on the web there's way more false info then true facts,
back a few years ago i looked up 3 or 4 places that claimed that it took .25 ,,, now i have never bought lower then a 1 micron because i let time and alcohol kill my yeast, but if .45 high grade will work , but on the hobby home market i am limited to filters that are made for whole house water filtration, shoot i lost my point, up wait i found it atop my head,, lol, but on that .45 you are talking for top of the line stuff?
Dawg

Latest posts

Back