Filtering Option

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOB21801

Junior
Reaction score
First let me say I consider myself quite the novice. I made my first wines probably 5 years ago, then took a break for a few years, now at it again - trying to do a bit better now.

Anyway, I made a 3 gallon batch of triple berry wine during the winter - bottled it about a week ago. I thought it was very clear, but after settling in the bottles, found many have a bit of sediment, that I apparently missed when I bottled it - should have racked it one more time. Tonight I decided to break out my Katadyn camping water filter, which I normally use for backpacking (tho I haven't used it in a couple years) and tried that on a 750 ml bottle. I was happy to find it did an excellent job. It looks perfectly clear now. I'm quite impressed. Wondering if anybody else had used a camping water filter like this? I'm tempted to filter the rest of the batch. Nothing to lose but some corks and a little time.
Bob :ib

I have used a MSR before - but never for winemaking

Typically these types of filters are carbon based to remove bad odors for water - which is neutral

in wine it will strip its color and alot more

stay with pads or cartridge type of filters for wine - they are designed especially for wine

What size does it filter down to? 5 micron ?

Cheers!
-jb

I have used a MSR before - but never for winemaking

Typically these types of filters are carbon based to remove bad odors for water - which is neutral

in wine it will strip its color and alot more

stay with pads or cartridge type of filters for wine - they are designed especially for wine

This does take a filter cartridge. The description says "The 0.2 micron glass-fiber filter media is designed for high output with little effort." It didn't seem to strip anything except the sediment.

I'll try to attach a pic or 2.

Katadyn Hiker Pro.jpg

Replacement Filter.jpg

Nice catch. Thank you. I have to say, I like to find a cheap DIY way of doing things when I can. I don't think filtering should be that difficult or expensive to accomplish. I also have access to filter bags that I believe are 5 micron. I was thinking about cutting one up in circles to fit inside the katadyn, stacking a bunch of them to fill the cavity and giving that a try. Or maybe I'll go out and just buy one made for winemaking. I really haven't priced them. I also scavenged a house filter housing I could possibly turn into something. Any suggestions, I'm open. I do prefer a nice clear wine. Thanks again. I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
@bob21801 +1 on what @vacuumpumpman recommends. It is a "whole house filter" housing and costs about $30 I think? You can buy filters for it with varying micron specs.

I use one for wine and another to filter a couple gallons of sanitizing solution when set up for cleaning.

Works very well in both applications but I have had wine continue to drop sediment after filtering so best to let it sit for a while and use the filter to "polish" after some bulk age time.

Cheers!
-jb

@bob21801 +1 on what @vacuumpumpman recommends. It is a "whole house filter" housing and costs about $30 I think? You can buy filters for it with varying micron specs.

I use one for wine and another to filter a couple gallons of sanitizing solution when set up for cleaning.

Works very well in both applications but I have had wine continue to drop sediment after filtering so best to let it sit for a while and use the filter to "polish" after some bulk age time.

Cheers!
-jb

Thanks, I appreciate that input. To be honest, the setup, with the vacuum pump that Steve is recommending, is more than I want to put into it at this time - likely in the future. Would a whole house filter set up work fairly well if gravity fed/siphoned? I have a whole house filter housing and would only have to get the filter cartridge (what micron is recommended?), connections and some tubing.

typical rule of thumb is 1 micron filter is used for whites and light bodied wines

5 micron is for red wines and heavy bodied wines

Many people tried to gravity filter with this setup and it does not work - you need to push or pull the wine thru this element

typical rule of thumb is 1 micron filter is used for whites and light bodied wines

5 micron is for red wines and heavy bodied wines

Many people tried to gravity filter with this setup and it does not work - you need to push or pull the wine thru this element

Thanks for that info, Steve. I have a hand pump I may be able to rig up.

Latest posts

Back