WineXpert Filtering and adding Super-Smoother?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJack

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just getting ready to rack our NV Stags Leap Merlot to a second carboy after
tasting it last night. Wow, these WE Selection kits are something. I've paid $20
for wine that didn't taste as good as this just finished wine does!
Got a couple of questions for the more experienced kitter's out there.
As stated, this wine is at the end of the eight days after Stabilising and Clearing
and I'm ready to rack to my second glass carboy. (When we checked the wine
last night it was crystal clear with the flashlight test).
I bought a Vinbrite Wine Filter Kit and was planning on using it during the racking.
Does anybody have any experience with filtering/not-filtering during this
stage? My thought was it would only add to purity and clarity of the wine, but
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.
The second question I have is about a product I bought while getting my equipment,
the Crosby&Baker SUPER-SMOOTHER. Does this product really help
these higher end kit wines, or is it hype?
This is our first wine kit and based on how this kit is turning out, I can hardly
wait to start the Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir.

Thanks for any thoughts or guidance,
Jack

Personally, I've heard enough good (all good infact) about the WE Stags leap that I would not mess with the recipe and just follow instructions. or use Tim Vandergrift's extended schedule - 5-20-40-90 I think are the intervals. You can find more info on this approach somewhere in these forums. His article is "How to make your wine shine", I believe.

I have the same filter. You will find varying opinions. Some people never filter, but I prefer to filter to make the wine more presentable. I also have heard a few people say it affects taste, but I doubt it does. I don't have evidence. Have you considered bulk aging for that kit? I've got a WE selections international Chilean Cab in the primary and I'm going to bulk age it over the winter.

You can filter if you want but it isn't really necessary. I used to filter red kits but found it was a waste of time. I filter all my white or light colored wines though. In regard to the Super Smoother, you won't need it with this kit. If you give it art least a year to age you are gonna be very pleased. It is a fantastic kit. I don't think I would do anything to this kit to upset it's natural goodness.

If you rack with filter you will just plug up filter medium. Rack off then filter. OK if you are real good you wont get the filter plugged. Don't run red though .05 mic filter, you will lose color body and some flavor.

Personally I would not use Super Smoother on any wine, and definitely not a high end one like this one.

BTW, the Super Smoother that I am familiar with is a two part package containing liquid oak and glycerine.

Steve

I wouldnt use this stuff as I believe its snake pee! If you think it needs more oak then add some oak staves or beans and let it sit longer. Glycerin will add some sweetness to it which again I dont think you want especially in a Merlot. Filtering, if a little dust on the bottom bothers you and you really want to get this in bottles then fine go ahead but longer aging in bulk will do the same and result in a more complex wine. I do filter whites and lighter fruit wines just for a polishing.

I did add that Super Smoother stuff to a VR red kit once. It helped some but not a whole lot. It took a bit of the thinness out.

Ok, the "snake pee" (great line by the way) is going in the trash; good thing
it didn't cost much.
We'll rack it over to our second carboy tonight, without filtering it, and let it
sit before we bottle it. The bulk storage thing intrigues
me. Is there a break down of Tim Vandergrift's 5-20-40-90 reasoning? I'm curious how he came up with that formula.
Good advise all around, thanks.

Jack

Thanks for the link MN-winer. Great article.
Looks like I need to buy another glass carboy if I want start the
Selection Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir next week. Need to get primary
and secondary fermentation done before the winter comes here in Oregon.
Jack

Latest posts

Back