Filter shock/bottle shock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
How long does it take for a wine to come back from bottle bottle shock? I realized that my buon vino mini jet had a pinched o ring and was basically aerating the wine while it was filtering it. The result was a lifeless flabby wine with no structure. Filtering usually does cause some bottle shock but it comes back in my experience. This is worse though, its been two weeks and although its been slowely getting better its not at the point it was before i filtered it. There was 1/4 tsp sulphite exisitng from clearing which took about 2 weeks and I also added 1/4 tsp of sulphite directly after filtering and realizing it got aerated. Should i add more sulphite? Its only been two weeks bulk aging in the carboy since filtering. Its a nebbiolo if that makes any difference.

At this point im thinking just to skip filtering on all my reds as its such a hassle and just let them clear for an additonal months or two first. I only filter my reds with the course filter pads also so i dont think it does a whole lot anyways. Thoughts?.

Last edited:
it can take a month or more to recover from bottle shock. I would not bother to filter reds, just use good fining agents.
When i first started the whole reason i bought the filter was to keep sediment out as my very first batch ended up with sediment in the bottle. It was a combination of poor racking techniques and using a 1/2" autosiphon. I have a 3/8" autosiphon now which gives me more control and i am more careful with racking. Do you feel that you have to rack more when not filtering? I dont like aging for a year like some people, i prefer to age for a few months and get it in the bottle for further aging. Would a few months be enpugh to drop the sediment out as to not show up in the bottle? Sidement is ok with my but yeast sidement is not.

When i first started the whole reason i bought the filter was to keep sediment out as my very first batch ended up with sediment in the bottle. It was a combination of poor racking techniques and using a 1/2" autosiphon. I have a 3/8" autosiphon now which gives me more control and i am more careful with racking. Do you feel that you have to rack more when not filtering? I dont like aging for a year like some people, i prefer to age for a few months and get it in the bottle for further aging. Would a few months be enpugh to drop the sediment out as to not show up in the bottle? Sidement is ok with my but yeast sidement is not.

The longer you go and more you rack the better chance you’ve got. Plus the type of wine factors in as well. Most don’t filter reds at all. Time and routine rackings get it done.
I cut up a strainer bag and put it a piece at the end of my racking cane with a rubber band to make sure I don’t suck any up. Every time. Some people use women’s nylons material too.

if making wine from grapes the racking protocol I follow is
1. rack three days after pressing or fermentation complete this removes gross lees add k-meta
2. rack in three weeks removes fine sediment if required add additional fining agents.
3. rack in three months. wine should be clear bottling could commence at any time.add k meta if wine not clear or sediment rack again wait one month and then observe for sediment if none bottle.

if making wine from grapes the racking protocol I follow is
1. rack three days after pressing or fermentation complete this removes gross lees add k-meta
2. rack in three weeks removes fine sediment if required add additional fining agents.
3. rack in three months. wine should be clear bottling could commence at any time.add k meta if wine not clear or sediment rack again wait one month and then observe for sediment if none bottle.

After three months if i plan to bottle would racking immediately prior to bottling make more sense since i wont be bottling with three month old sediment on the bottom?

After three months if i plan to bottle would racking immediately prior to bottling make more sense since i wont be bottling with three month old sediment on the bottom?
Yes, definitely rack before bottling. In addition to removing any remaining fines, racking will blend top and bottom zones that form due to density. (There is a distinct flavor difference between top and bottom in a wine that has been sitting for months. Try drawing two samples, top and bottom, and you will notice it.). Gently stirring would blend layers too, but will also stir up any sediments that may be present.

Yes, definitely rack before bottling. In addition to removing any remaining fines, racking will blend top and bottom zones that form due to density. (There is a distinct flavor difference between top and bottom in a wine that has been sitting for months. Try drawing two samples, top and bottom, and you will notice it.). Gently stirring would blend layers too, but will also stir up any sediments that may be present.
Good point, especially since the oak cubes float to the top.

Latest posts

Back