Filter fast questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
Just received my Filter Fast whole house filter with 5 micron filter. I am using it with a Pittsburgh 2.5 vacuum pump from Harbor Freight.

Is the 5 micron sufficient or do I switch to 1 micron when bottling?

How many gallons do the filters usally last for?

I buy buckets of juice and usually use bentonite. If I am using the filter do I need the bentonite or other clarifiers? In other words will the filter clarify the wine?

Filtering is actually for polishing the wine, never filter cloudy wine, you’ll end up with cloudy wine.

Filters are cheap enough that I’ll filter 1 to 4 batches at the same time and then toss it.

when using this pump or allinone pump - does anyone use it on their first rack. The 2.5 from Harbor Freight seems like it would just suck up all the lees from the bottom. I think if I use the filter it will clog up pretty quickly with the lees. Or is that the reason why people are using the filter. Or do I still have to rack off the lees with a cane before using a vacuum pump?

Not familiar with that exact pump, but this topic usually starts a simi heated debate between oiless vs oil filled.
Oiless is usualy easyest and simplest but if it sucks and doesnt spay oil all over everything it will work . steps can be taken to protect you from oil issue possibilities
If I had to buy one no question the allinone is the way to go. The accessory package and versatility folks dicuss sold me

when using this pump or allinone pump - does anyone use it on their first rack. The 2.5 from Harbor Freight seems like it would just suck up all the lees from the bottom. I think if I use the filter it will clog up pretty quickly with the lees. Or is that the reason why people are using the filter. Or do I still have to rack off the lees with a cane before using a vacuum pump?

20171018_185022.jpg
This device will aid in your winemaking process to help separate the juice from the skins or pulp. Just set it in the primary and place your racking cane inside the tube and turn your All-in-one wine pump on – it will start removing all your juice that is under the cap. It will pull approximately 80% of the liquid out of the primary fermenter into the secondary, without all the mess; – prior to scooping into the basket press.

Benefits = Time saving, Back saving, Less Mess

the pump from harbor freight is oil based. I took JohnD's advice - placed the pump far enough away from the wine (I ran the tube outside my basement window) and used two wine bottles as a catch all between the pump and the wine to catch any fumes. Tried water first and it works fine. Just sucks the s*#^t out of the wine but will be great for aeration. Water was bubbling as if on high boil. Just not optimal for racking off lees.

You can loosen a fitting or add a tee with a valve to reduce vacuum, I do this with my oiless to slow things down
For degassing it will work well enough to flatten hoses

is there a fitting to put on the end of a 3/8 tube to assimilate a racking cane

Filtering is actually for polishing the wine, never filter cloudy wine, you’ll end up with cloudy wine.

Filters are cheap enough that I’ll filter 1 to 4 batches at the same time and then toss it.

I actually had this same question. At around $5/piece for a 1-micron filter, I would have hoped to be able to re-use them. After all they are rated for like 10,000 gallons (or water) or something like that. Seems like quite a waste to use it for just a few batches and then toss it.

I actually had this same question. At around $5/piece for a 1-micron filter, I would have hoped to be able to re-use them. After all they are rated for like 10,000 gallons (or water) or something like that. Seems like quite a waste to use it for just a few batches and then toss it.

I buy mine on eBay. About 60 buck for a box. I think there are 48 in the box. Not sure though.

Just rinse it well with warm water after each use . Let it sit on a paper towels to drain and then place in a one gallon freezer bag and toss into your freezer until next use. Just sanitize your system by running KMETA through your filter setup each time. Rinse, repeat as they say. I usually do around 30 gallons and toss them.

Just rinse it well with warm water after each use . Let it sit on a paper towels to drain and then place in a one gallon freezer bag and toss into your freezer until next use. Just sanitize your system by running KMETA through your filter setup each time. Rinse, repeat as they say. I usually do around 30 gallons and toss them.
I thought freezing them would change their properties, that’s why I don’t do it.

I have a question for some of you -

If you take a wet 1 micron filter and put it in a freezer -

will the water not expand into ice ? making the hole size from 1 micron to a much larger size ?

Please google it and you will see that it is highly recommended not to have your filters frozen for this exact case-

Protect the whole house water filter and piping from freezing. Water freezing in the water filter will damage it.
taken from =

https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/85/8548f11d-5ee7-4c9c-88b8-c2b45e2f9467.pdf

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/what-if-my-water-filter-freezes-will-it-be-damaged/

Last edited:
I suggest - if you really have to, make up a meta solution and put the filter in there without any air.

I personally do not think it is worth it for a 3 dollar filter -

My absolutes filters - I was taught to remove any of the rubber seals and microwave them as it will boil off the water - do it until they are DRY in intervals

Latest posts

Back