Filter disaster

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabiola

Reaction score
I tried to filter some wine using the allinwinepump and a pentak filter, but I got a huge splash, almost like a sunami and I am afraid the wine got a lot of oxygen inside, the reason for this was because I didn't notice the cap of the canister has a valve and air was filtering throught there. I tried to buy another cap in places that sell filters but they don't sell it alone.
Now, my question is, what can I use to cover the hole left when I took the valve, that is not toxic to wine and can support the pump pressure? I took the valve off so the wine doesn't touch the nickel screw and the spring inside. This is a pic of how the canister came from fastfilters.com and I believe that I need to get rid of the red piece.

canister.jpg

Thats just a relief valve, was it defective and leaking? Usually the problem with too much foaming is either you are using a string wound filter and those need to soak in the wine awhile to remove all the air or your wine needs to be degassed.

I must agree with Wade ^ or do you have a loose housing ?
I think we are mising some details to try and help you.

"Now, my question is, what can I use to cover the hole left when I took the valve off," from Fabiola
well you could replace it with a stainless steel nut and bolt and use a 2 part apoxy on the top of the housing or tap it out and install a stainless steel bolt and washer on the top side as well.

Thats just a relief valve, was it defective and leaking? Usually the problem with too much foaming is either you are using a string wound filter and those need to soak in the wine awhile to remove all the air or your wine needs to be degassed.

Hello, The valve wasn't defective or leaking, the filter I used was a Pentek PD-1-934 10" PolyDepth Sediment Filter 1 micron and I soaked the filter in k-meta before using it, also the wine was already degassed, the reason I believe that this hole needs to be covered, is because as soon as a took the valve off and covered with a piece of paper towel, the foam stopped.

Last edited:
I must agree with Wade ^ or do you have a loose housing ?
I think we are mising some details to try and help you.

"Now, my question is, what can I use to cover the hole left when I took the valve off," from Fabiola
well you could replace it with a stainless steel nut and bolt and use a 2 part apoxy on the top of the housing or tap it out and install a stainless steel bolt and washer on the top side as well.

I am not sure what details cold be missing, this is a picture of the sides, I attached a strong hose with clamps for extra security, the housing wasn't leaking from the top or the sides, either air of liquid, that's why I believe was the red valve's fault, I don't see any other options, the pump works very well, I used first without the filter and everything was connected right and it worked perfectly...

filter.jpg

Hello, The valve wasn't defective or leaking, the filter I used was a Pentek PD-1-934 10" PolyDepth Sediment Filter 1 micron and I soaked the filter in k-meta before using it, also the wine was already degassed, the reason I believe that this hole needs to be covered, is because as soon as a took the valve off and covered with a piece of paper towel, the foam stopped.

well you answered alot of question just now - it appears that you have a defective top (valve ) - because you noted - "as soon as a took the valve off and covered with a piece of paper towel, the foam stopped "

that tells me that it is drawing in air from that valve you mentioned.

you have 2 options - replace it or seal it up to stop leaking as I mentioned previously

Yep, defective cap but Id replace it with a new 1 as that valve really helps later IMO. Call the place where you bought thd housing and tell them you want a new 1.

Yep, defective cap but Id replace it with a new 1 as that valve really helps later IMO. Call the place where you bought thd housing and tell them you want a new 1.

How can this valve wil help later? I was thinkin in just sealing the cap, but if I need it I just leave it like this, even if I am pissed now:po As usual you guys are very helpful... thank you for your advise..

well you answered alot of question just now - it appears that you have a defective top (valve ) - because you noted - "as soon as a took the valve off and covered with a piece of paper towel, the foam stopped "

that tells me that it is drawing in air from that valve you mentioned.

you have 2 options - replace it or seal it up to stop leaking as I mentioned previously

Thank you Steve, I think I will just seal it.

I have never used the valve. Believe its to release pressure when finished filtering.

Yes, it is a pressure release which makes it easier to break the seal when taking it apart. Not needed as much for this use as it is as in its proper use in a house but still helps. If its branc new why go through all this trouble when you should be able to make a cal and have a properly working cap as you dhould when dpending your hard working money!

Yes, it is a pressure release which makes it easier to break the seal when taking it apart. Not needed as much for this use as it is as in its proper use in a house but still helps. If its branc new why go through all this trouble when you should be able to make a cal and have a properly working cap as you dhould when dpending your hard working money!

I will call them Thank you.

I replaced my valve and sealed the hole. It has been working fine for about 2 years and I use the string filters.

Richard L.

Latest posts

Back