Film on wine - candida mycoderma / flowers of wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rappatuz

Reaction score
I have a blueberry wine that may have been infected by mycoderma / flowers of wine.

I always start a slightly larger (more voluminous) must than the target final volume (which equals the volume of a carboy). That way I have extra wine for topping up after rackings. I usually store excess wine in jars or bottles.

A few weeks ago I noticed a film on the wine in one of these jars. It looked slightly like oil spillage on top of water. when I poked it, it cracked into flakes but still floated. Whatever it was, I didn't want it in my wine, so I sanitized a straw and simply sucked the film off of the top. The wine tasted and smelled fine.

By chance, I came over an article about candida mycoderma a couple of days ago, and I immediately thought about the film on my blueberry wine. I checked the jar and sure enough the film had returned (see image). I also checked my carboy, which I discovered to have the same kind of film (see other image). I haven't tasted it since the film was initially removed, but it smells fine and I can't pick up any hints of vinegar.

I started making wine in 2018 and only use sulfites when starting the must and before bottling, which has worked fine for me (until now?). Also, the wine in the jars may have been exposed to a lot more oxygen than they should've been, as I for a long period didn't tighten the lids properly. I did this as a precaution for not creating jar bombs after the fermentation was mainly done. The carboy may have been infected when topping up from a jar. Because of these factors, I may have facilitated a mycoderma infection.

Taking the above info into consideration and looking at the posted pictures, do you think the wine has a mycoderma infection?

Jar with film:

Film_2.jpg

Carboy with film:
Film_1.jpg

When I have dealt with flowers I have,
* removed as much as possible with paper towel on a stick/ metal rod
* treated the batch with 50 ppm potassium metabisulphite powder sprinkled on the surface/ not mixed
* slowly added grain alcohol to the surface/ not mixed in/ no splashing etc
@Rice_Guy didn't I read a post of yours that helped someone else with this? Maybe adding high octane alcohol to it? Thanks, Arne.

Latest posts

Back