Film on inside top of carboy using Allegro yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZebraB

Reaction score
This is my 6th batch but my first time using Allegro yeast with Optiwhite and fermaid O 1/3 in. There has been no foam as advertised. I have moved it to carboy for secondary fermentation 6 days ago. I am starting to see a film on the inside top of the carboy but none on the wine. I know with foaming yeast, there is some film but not sure if this also happens with non foaming yeast because it never foamed up to reach that level that I am aware of. I have it in a refridgerator at 65 with ink bird, so temperature is within 1 degree. Is this something I need to worry about or is it normal?

IMG_0344.JPG

Just a follow-up.... nothing wrong here. This kit is the best I have made so far from the early tasting. Likely there was some foaming that I did not notice when transferring to secondary. We have sipped off the wine from the bentonite slurry after racking and then had a glass of Simi Chard and the two wines have a very similar profile. (of course the Simi is much smoother because it has aged.). It will be hard to wait for 6 months. A definite do over. It was an RJS Cru select Aus Chard with grapefruit zest and white grapes (thanks to Joe's tips) along with the Allegro yeast with Optiwhite and fermaid O 1/3 in. I likely will go a tad less on the grapefruit zest because my PH is low and grapefruit zest is a natural citric acid.

Side note: not sure if the Fermaid O is required for kits, but studies with real grape juice and Optiwhite showed improvement in the delicate flavors with yeast nutrients added.

Just seeing this now, but agree that the residue on the glass is from foaming or just bubbles rising up out of the wine. Get it topped up if you haven't already. Glad it's working out.

Latest posts

Back