Filling carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you noticed something in the flavor of your scratch wines when you do that?

I put my juice wine in a 6 carboy after stablizing and finning today,
but only had 5 1/2 gallons, I left it alone, after 7 days I'll rack to
a 5 gallon carboy.

What was the starting SG? And now?

I don't know, but I don't have a good feel to this when I hear it. I would transfer it as soon as possible to a 5 gallon one again to avoid possible oxidation. The rest you can put in 2-750ml bottles, use a vacuvin stopper thingie until you rack again.

But that is just me.

Stinkie, Martina is giving you good advice. When that wine stops fermenting, it is very vulnerable to O2 until topped up. You can keep 6 gallons of wine if you just top up with another wine or juice, or do as Martina suggests.

MedPretzel said:
Have you noticed something in the flavor of your scratch wines when you do that?

No, nothing adverse. It all just seems to meld together.

you think I can go top up with grape juice, do I need to stir it in or just pour in and put stopper and airlock back on.

Thanks in advance.

I just topped up with a quart of welches, hey I won't have to mix it in later..lol
smiley1.gif

You can top up with whatever you want, Fred. Stinkie is in effect using the suss-reserve method, sweetening up with juice.

I usually tweak the SG a little higher at the beginning so when I rack, I can use just plain water. That works too. Of course, if you lose a lot of liquid through racking, you could use wine or the "suss-reserve" method.

On the other hand, I usually try to make a gallon or so extra when making a 5 or 6 gallon wine, and top off with that extra gallon. So far, I haven't had any problems with that method.

well that wine was 17% alcohol according to SG, so it's going to need a lot more grape juice for me to drink it, I think the Island mist kit at 6% alcohol is just my speed (life in the slow lane)
smiley14.gif

Well, I would consider a grape-juice/water mix with your 17% wine. It might help tame down the alcohol. A just grape-juice addition might make it too sweet.

Ihave a few wines this strong, and I just save them for when I ain't quite sleepy enough to go to bed at a reasonable time. That'll do it.

Latest posts

Back