Figuring How Much Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
I've going to try to bump up my alcohol content to a 13% level on my Coconut Yuzu wine. I think I have the idea using Jack Kellers table...for 6 gallons to reach a 13% I would have to add 12 pounds of sugar. Can I use Cane Sugar as I didn't order but one pound of Corn Sugar?

You can not go with a set amount of sugar to reach your projected sg. You need to take a reading prior to adding sugar, then add your sugar. One cup of sugar will raise sg .018 per gallon, roughly. Calculate how much sugar you need and I would go with 2 cups less, take a reading and then at this point add a little at a time. I would shoot for 1.090.

Put my sugar in solution ...took reading 1.115 S.G. Read the ABV of possible 15%. Will that mellow or actually be 15% alcohol?

That will depend on how much topping off you do and what you use to top off. In general the ABV should remain the same unless the wine must is diluted with something of a lower ABV. (e.g. Water) If you plan ahead for loss of volume you can still end up with an good ABV and good flavor EVEN if you do use water to top off.

No alcohol will mellow out or evaporate if the wine is aged properly.

Guess I over shot my goal of 13%. I didn't put as much sugar in the mix . I'm a slow learner..should have added the syrup one cup at a time. Hmmm.
Thanks so much.

Latest posts

Back