Fig Wine - Acid Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
I've got access to a fig tree that has plenty of ripe figs. I'm going to start a 5 gallon batch using Jack kellers recipe that calls for acid blend. I don’t have any acid blend today but can order it from a supplier in my area. Should arrive in a few days. Question 1: Does the acid blend have to be added at primary or can I add it during the first rack? Question 2: Anybody have any experience with fig wine that can offer suggestions or thoughts? Question 3: The only yeast I have is Red Star Pasteur Red. Any problems with using this yeast?

Here's the recipe for one gallon that I'm going to increase for five gallons:

Ingredients
• 4 1/2 lb. (2.0 kg) figs
• 6 1/2 pints (3.1 L) water
• 1 3/4 lbs. (0.79 kg) granulated sugar
• 3 tsp. acid blend
• 1 crushed Campden tablet
• 1 tsp. yeast nutrient
• 1 pkg Red Star Montrachet wine yeast
Cut off stems and chop figs. Place in large, fine mesh nylon straining bag, tie top, and put in primary fermentation vessel. Stir in all other ingredients except yeast. Check specific gravity (should be 1.085 to 1.095; if not, add up to 1/4 cup more sugar, stirring very well before re-checking gravity). Cover with sanitized cloth. Add activated yeast after 12 hours and stir twice daily, pressing pulp lightly to aid extraction of juices. When specific gravity reaches 1.040 (3 to 5 days), hang bag over bowl to drain, lightly pressing to aid extraction (do NOT force or you will cloud the liquid). While pulp drains, siphon liquid off sediments into secondary. Add drained liquid and discard pulp. Fit airlock to secondary. Ferment to dryness (specific gravity 1.000 or lower — in about 3 weeks). Rack into clean secondary, top up to 1 gallon and reattach airlock. Rack again in 2 months. Rack again and bottle when clear. This is a good dry wine. If you want it sweeter, stabilize after last racking (but before bottling), then add 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon. Wait three weeks and bottle. This wine can be consumed young (after 3 months in bottle), but will improve immensely with age.

Thanks Bunches! I don't know what I would do without your wonderful suggestions and advice!

Latest posts

Back