Fertilizer Questions

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

rebusify

Reaction score
I have read and heard that I should not be putting down any fertilizer the first year but I've also read on some sites that putting fertilizer down during the first year is a must so not 100% sure on that. Also, with regards to fertilizers, has anyone used Miracle Gro and if so when did you apply and what were your results?

Thank you

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
best fertilizer is a 10-10-10. also the best is to have your soil tested to see what nutrient you are missing. you local county agent should be able to do it for a nominal fee. I usually fertilized once harvest was complete as 40% of root growth occurs at this time for first year plants I would do same in fall a month before leaves fall. then fertilize in spring at bud break. use about a cup per plant in a circle about 6 inches from the base of the plant

rebusify

Reaction score
Do you recommend a specific brand of 10-10-10? I'm growing pinot noir grapes (For Rose). Thank you!

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
no. 10-10-10 if the formulation of the fertilizer, nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium. should be available at any nursery location