Fermenting won’t start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbjirak

Junior
Reaction score
Making a batch of Aronia berry wine and the yeast won’t even start. The recipe calls to leave the must in the primary. 25 lbs of mashed berries so I’m wondering if the yeast is getting smothered. It called to hydrate the yeast and then mix it in. On day 3 and nothing. Any suggestions are welcomed!

I assume your yeast is good? What kind are you using? You should have had activity just by hydrating it. A yeast starter helps if your yeast is kind of old too. Also, you might want to get the temperature up to 70 or 75 until the ferment gets going. You can let it drop after it’s going.

I am thinking the yeast didn’t work. Lalvin EC-1116. It did NOT have activity when I hydrated it. I let it sit for 15 min. Package said 5/23 for expiration. With that I’m thinking I should add the new yeast that I just bought. It’s Lalvin EC-1118. My research shows that yeast is ok to use. Then get it in a warmer spot. I’m somewhat new to wine making so thank you for the advice.

my method for a starter is hydrate the yeast in a cup of warm water with a 1/2 t of sugar and a pinch of yeast nutrient. It should be foaming in 15 or 20 minutes. After 4 hours I’ll add a 1/4 cup of the must. I’ll add another 1/4 cup every 4-6 hours. After 12 to 24 hours pour it down the side of the primary fermenter but don’t mix until the next day.

I have a Red Star Premier Classique that is new as well. Any thoughts on this vs the Lalvin EC-1118?

I have made several aronia berry wines. No problems. I agree that your yeast might have been dead. Repitch new yeast as stated above. Have you had aronia berry wine before? I found that straight aronia is way too tart for my tastes. I add 2 ounces of blueberry flavor to the wine. Add more as needed. Makes for a really nice red wine. Good luck.

I am in the process right now of letting new yeast hydrate on some of the must and plan to pitch it tonight. This is the first time using aronia berries. Per this recipe I added 2.5 lbs of raisins. But that’s it. When did you add the blueberry flavoring?

I am in the process right now of letting new yeast hydrate on some of the must and plan to pitch it tonight. This is the first time using aronia berries. Per this recipe I added 2.5 lbs of raisins. But that’s it. When did you add the blueberry flavoring?
I put the blueberry in towards the end of fermentation. Before the sorbate and back sweetening. No need to stir. And don't forget that adding blueberries increases the the antioxidant content of the wine. Very healthy. You are making this wine for health reason, aren't you?:pty

Last edited:
Ummmm yes! So I hydrated the new yeast and got it going on some of the must as suggested. I pitched it 2 nights ago and the batch as a whole is fermenting very nicely! Thank you all for the advice. I’m newer at this so help and knowledge is welcomed!

Making a batch of Aronia berry wine and the yeast won’t even start. The recipe calls to leave the must in the primary. 25 lbs of mashed berries so I’m wondering if the yeast is getting smothered. It called to hydrate the yeast and then mix it in. On day 3 and nothing. Any suggestions are welcomed!
I would have made a yeast starter and put that in the must after the sulfite has somewhat diminished in strength.

What is your favorite Aronia Berry Recipe?
This berry tastes a lot like a cranberry to me. Has anyone just altered their cranberry recipe, to Aronia instead? First time using them this year!

What is your favorite Aronia Berry Recipe?
This berry tastes a lot like a cranberry to me. Has anyone just altered their cranberry recipe, to Aronia instead? First time using them this year!
My aronia berry wine recipe is actually an altered chokecherry recipe. Before backsweetening, I taste test it and add some blueberry flavoring. That cuts the tartness more to my liking. Then backsweeten as needed. It should still come out as a bit dry. My preference.

Latest posts

Back