WineXpert Fermenting too Quickly??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Junior
Reaction score
My wine stopped bubbling out of the airlock after 5 days. The beginning specific gravity was 1.09, and at day 8 was .98. I transferred the wine to my carboy thinking fermentation may resume, but still no bubbling. So my question is: are there any sugars left to consume and what is the cosequence of the wine fermenting too quickly or is there such a thing? What to do now, besides continue to follow instructions???

Please help

What type of wine is it kit or fresh fruit? Most likely it is still fermenting but the ending specific gravity should be around 0.95 or lower for a completely drywine. Never heard of wine fermenting too fast...activity and amount of yeast plus temperature certainly will affect the speed of the fermentation. I would give it another7 days and check specific gravity again then continue. Use the instructions as a guide but not every batch will be the same.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
As a side note I have found the length of time most kit instructions tell you to let the wine settle after adding final chemicals and fining agent are not nearly long enough. For reds I settle 2 weeks then rack and settle another two weeks before bottling. Whites I increase the first settle time to 3 weeks. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Good luck !Edited by: masta

Most kits use the '96' as the stopping point.But remember, temperature affects specific gravity (SG)readings, but of course I don't remember the calculations to figure out the correct SG.

Stick with the directions. Myself, I use them as a minimum, I'll sometimes allow twice the time recommend before continuing, depending on how busy I am.

Remember, patience seems to be the key in becoming a wine maker.

Thanks guys,

It is a different kit from what I am used to (I usually make merlot which keeps right on bubbling after I put it in the secondary). This is a wine that George reccomended. I won't even attempt to spell it but it ends in "roi". This is only my 4th batch so, for now, I am following directions to the letter. But are you saying that it is not critical to add my stabilizers and clarifiers after the stated time period? It would have me doing it on Christmas day. I have more plans than hours this holiday season and would love to just put it off until after the new year.

Slim,

The only really critical date is day 6 where you rack from the bucket into carboy. This day is important as by that time, the fermentation is not producing enough CO2 to protect your wine; therefore, you want to get it under an airlock. Once you have it protected, you can tend to it at your leisure (within reason). I would try to stabilize within 2 months of starting. If you go longer than that, I would recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon of sulfite per 6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back