fermenting longer than suppose to

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hersheysmom

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a blue berry pinot noir from a kit and it says to rack to carboy after 7 to 10 days, but its been 15 days and the bung is still bubbling a little.

It's not about the amount of bubbling. It is about the specific gravity.
What kind of kit is it? Did directions come with the kit? What do they instruct?
Do you have a hydrometer?

it should still be fermenting when you go to carboy. thats the whole point. once the strongest fermentation quiets down, it goes to carboy to finish up. visual signs of fermentation and calendars are merely clues... measuring SG will tell you where the wine is at and when to go to the next step.

All above is right. But, what is the must temp? if on the cooler side it will take longer.
Check the gravity and get back to us.

the hydrometer says its at 98.5, its just barely bubbling, may give it another day or two before i transfer.

I hope you mean .985. What you may be seeing is traped gas. I would rack to the secondary and continue to follow the directions from the kit. Which kit is it?. I'm thinking the directions may have said to rack at a certain gravity.

I hope you mean .985. What you may be seeing is traped gas. I would rack to the secondary and continue to follow the directions from the kit. Which kit is it?. I'm thinking the directions may have said to rack at a certain gravity.

Yes... what he said.

you should really read the instructions that came with your kit. really.
if it's 0995 then you have probably already surpassed the point where you were supposed to transfer to a carboy - as most kits i have seen have you make the primary to secondary transfer between 0998 and 1010 or so.

That is as far as its going to go, that is trapped C02 in your wine. You dont have to still be fermenting when yu rack over to glass, RJS kits have you finish fermenting in the primary and I do this mpost of the time except for white and light fruit wines just because they are easier to oxidize so I dont take that chance but even then they are loaded with C02 which prevents oxidation.

Latest posts

Back