Fermenting issue with Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sal, do you have any experience with Skeeter Pee? If so, can you advise about my current dilemma: I am on Day #25 with no observable fermentation, with a SB of 1.022 x3 days. Could my ferment be stuck? Should I add more E-1118 OR rack into secondary OR ?? Your thoughts would be helpful, or the thoughts of anyone else out there with having had a similar issue.
what was your original SG
Dawg

You said you are going by the DB? I am talking about the SP which calls for 7 pounds sugar?

I have been making my Lime Skeeter Mojito wine according to more of the Dragon Blood recipe which call for approximately 20 cups of sugar. I want it sweeter and not tart like a limeade and with an ABV closer to 10-11%. Also, I'm making a 6 gallon batch rather than the 5 gallons that the recipe for Skeeter Pee makes.

What sg did you start at? what was your starting Ph? What have you done so far to it?? I looked back some and didn't see anything like that.
My initial SG was 1.068 on 5/16/20. On day #8 there was active ferment, foaming bubbles and I added 3 tsp. y. nutrient and 1 tsp y.energizer. SG was 1.053.
Day #24 SG was 1.022 and as of today, Day #31, it remains stuck @ 1.022 with NO taste of alcohol, just a slight yeasty smell and it is cloudy in the secondary into which it was racked on Day #27 per hounddawgs recommendation. BTW, it has been on a heating pad throughout this time.

Thus, my question....................what do I do now? Obviously it is not fermenting out the way it should. I was really looking forward to this SP. Should I put it back into the primary and pitch more yeast? Any suggestions would be much appreciated............Dizzy

My initial SG was 1.068 on 5/16/20. On day #8 there was active ferment, foaming bubbles and I added 3 tsp. y. nutrient and 1 tsp y.energizer. SG was 1.053.
Day #24 SG was 1.022 and as of today, Day #31, it remains stuck @ 1.022 with NO taste of alcohol, just a slight yeasty smell and it is cloudy in the secondary into which it was racked on Day #27 per hounddawgs recommendation. BTW, it has been on a heating pad throughout this time.

Thus, my question....................what do I do now? Obviously it is not fermenting out the way it should. I was really looking forward to this SP. Should I put it back into the primary and pitch more yeast? Any suggestions would be much appreciated............Dizzy

I would certainly try pitching more yeast and adding some energizer. Do an internet search for "stuck fermentation" and you'll find some suggestions. I personally wouldn't return it to the primary for this...if you want it to get some air, put a towel over the opening of the carboy or a coffee filter held in place with a rubber band. If you want to stir it, just swirl the carboy. That's my opinion anyway but maybe someone else will weigh in.

You are using a hydrometer (and not a refractometer) to measure your SG, right?

I think maybe you should go farther than pitching new yeast. I think you may be better served making a starter: Using Yeast Starters For Improved Fermentation

You are using a hydrometer (and not a refractometer) to measure your SG, right?

I think maybe you should go farther than pitching new yeast. I think you may be better served making a starter: Using Yeast Starters For Improved Fermentation

I believe that may be the case, starting at 1.068 SG, with a current reading of 1.022 or 5.6 brix, gives a corrected sg of 0.996.

Can you explain "corrected sg"?

Yes, Refractometers work based off the way the light gets bent based on the expected makeup of the liquid in them (the refractive index). Prior to fermentation the liquid in them is water and some sugar. Once fermentation begins the liquid is water, some sugar and alcohol, this causes the refractometer to read a higher value of Brix than is really there. There are charts and programs available to correct for this error in reading. Hence corrected SG. It isn't a linear relationship, as the alcohol content increases the correction changes.

It's why many (most) of us, don't use a refractometer after alcohol fermentation starts.

Yes, Refractometers work based off the way the light gets bent based on the expected makeup of the liquid in them (the refractive index). Prior to fermentation the liquid in them is water and some sugar. Once fermentation begins the liquid is water, some sugar and alcohol, this causes the refractometer to read a higher value of Brix than is really there. There are charts and programs available to correct for this error in reading. Hence corrected SG. It isn't a linear relationship, as the alcohol content increases the correction changes.

It's why many (most) of us, don't use a refractometer after alcohol fermentation starts.

Thanks for the information! I've never used a refractometer or even heard much about them so I was confused 😊 Do they still require calibration? Along that line, is there a particular refractometer and a particular hydrometer that is more accurate, requiring no or little calibration? I get the inexpensive Alla one and they can be up to .006 under the 1.000...it's such a pain to have to adjust readings!

Thanks for the information! I've never used a refractometer or even heard much about them so I was confused 😊 Do they still require calibration? Along that line, is there a particular refractometer and a particular hydrometer that is more accurate, requiring no or little calibration? I get the inexpensive Alla one and they can be up to .006 under the 1.000...it's such a pain to have to adjust readings!

I have a refractometer and haven’t ever needed to adjust it. Used it for getting prefermentation readings and making adjustments on kits, fruit wines, as well as red and white wine grapes. It’s especially useful in that you don’t need a large quantity of juice separated from the thick must to operate.Two drops of liquid gets you a reading in seconds.
Once fermentation starts, I use the hydrometer. Easiest tool for the stage you’re in.

Yes, an hydrometer. I will add starter today, thankyou................Dizzy

I don't remember, do you have a way to test the PH of your skeeter pee?? If it is to low (below about 3.0) you may be unable to get it to restart, without making that starter and then progressively adding your must to it. What I mean by that is say you make a three cup starter, once it is going great add three cups of your must to the starter, wait about 20 minutes or so. If still bubbling nicely, now add 6 cups of your must to the 6 cups you already have. Wait about 20 minutes or so, if still bubbling, double the amount of your must your add. repeat until you have all your must added. Sometimes it takes this when you have very unfavorable environment for the yeast.

I don't remember, do you have a way to test the PH of your skeeter pee?? If it is to low (below about 3.0) you may be unable to get it to restart, without making that starter and then progressively adding your must to it. What I mean by that is say you make a three cup starter, once it is going great add three cups of your must to the starter, wait about 20 minutes or so. If still bubbling nicely, now add 6 cups of your must to the 6 cups you already have. Wait about 20 minutes or so, if still bubbling, double the amount of your must your add. repeat until you have all your must added. Sometimes it takes this when you have very unfavorable environment for the yeast.
Hi cmason, I tested pH, and it is between 2.8 and 3.2, so let's assume it is 3.0. I have the starter on the counter, but it is being very slow to start. I am now wondering if I got some bad EC-1118? I have kept it refrigerated as recommended, and it was only purchased a few months ago. (Can't read the expiration stamp on the side: eyes too old I guess). If my starter ever starts I will follow your instructions. Thanks a million....................Dizzy

Hi cmason, I tested pH, and it is between 2.8 and 3.2, so let's assume it is 3.0. I have the starter on the counter, but it is being very slow to start. I am now wondering if I got some bad EC-1118? I have kept it refrigerated as recommended, and it was only purchased a few months ago. (Can't read the expiration stamp on the side: eyes too old I guess). If my starter ever starts I will follow your instructions. Thanks a million....................Dizzy
what does your hydrometer read, if .996 your dry
dawg

SO were you feared i lead you down the wrong path, whither or not the ferment is done your must is way more protected in a carboy than in a bucket, as for lack of alcohol taste,,,,lemon is one of the best hiders of the alcohol, pineapple is another that hides the taste of alcohol,,,
Dawg

Last edited:
what does your hydrometer read, if .996 your dry
dawg
As I said in my posts, the SG read has been 1.022 for some time now, but I did as cmason suggested, and added starter, then step fed into that some must. When I reached a gallon (which was still foaming), I added it to the 5 gallons of Skeeter Pee which was in the secondary fermenter. This morning there is a thin layer of foam on the top, but no active bubbling. I guess it will be a wait and see game..........................Dizzy

Latest posts

Back