Fermenting issue with Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm making a lime Skeeter Pee. I started it on May 14th but it appears to still be fermenting. The hydrometer readings for the last week have not changed (about 1.008). The airlock is still bubbling, although slowly. I tried adding some yeast Energizer, raising the temperature to 72-74 and pitching some more yeast but the reading still isn't changing. Any ideas what I have going on?

I thought perhaps I added too much sugar in the beginning and maybe the alcohol content is killing off the yeast? I always add 11 pounds of sugar to my SP and Dragon Blood batches ( that usually results in starting measurement of 1.075-1.080) so I skip the initial S.G. reading...but if I accidentally messed up my math, I could have added more than that. I guess I'm grasping at straws at this point.

I'm tempted to just sorbate and sulphite since I'd be backsweetening it to 1.010 anyway but I don't know if that would work or if it would ruin the wine. I'm going to fortify the wine with rum anyway so I'm not too concerned about ABV. A taste test indicates that the wine is pretty darn good but....

Last edited:
I would rack off any lee and put under airlock rack again in three day from any gross lees the add kmeta. let wine settle down rack again in three weeks of any fine lees do taste test. should have stopped by that time.

I would rack off any lee and put under airlock rack again in three day from any gross lees the add kmeta. let wine settle down rack again in three weeks of any fine lees do taste test. should have stopped by that time.
I racked it off the lees right before I saw your post and was planning to wait 3 days to see how things are going, so glad to know I'm doing what you would have done! I'll try your advice for additional racking adding the kmeta. Thanks for your input!

it's done fermenting but now it is degassing , i'd let it sit under airlock or splash rack it a few times under vacuum, if your hydrometer has stayed the same for 3 days, the yeast can't handle anymore alcohol, keep a check on your hydrometer reading, but it sounds like it is only off gassing, i start my SP's at 1.085 using EC-1118, then fortifie 6 gal with PGAf 190 proof , but i use more lemon then most,,, i like a quart to a gallon of lemon concentrate,
Dawg

it's done fermenting but now it is degassing , i'd let it sit under airlock or splash rack it a few times under vacuum, if your hydrometer has stayed the same for 3 days, the yeast can't handle anymore alcohol, keep a check on your hydrometer reading, but it sounds like it is only off gassing, i start my SP's at 1.085 using EC-1118, then fortifie 6 gal with PGAf 190 proof , but i use more lemon then most,,, i like a quart to a gallon of lemon concentrate,
Dawg
I used the same yeast. Since racking once yesterday, the airlock has stopped bubbling and it's looking clearer already. I have the All In One pump so that makes the degassing easy.

I'm making this a mojito version so I add a mint infused lime rum to the finished wine. It's a huge hit and I'm often told by friends that this is one of their favorites. I usually add a can of limeade frozen concentrate as well but I'll have to decide if that will make it too sweet since it hasn't fermented dry.

I'm making a lime Skeeter Pee. I started it on May 14th but it appears to still be fermenting. The hydrometer readings for the last week have not changed (about 1.008). The airlock is still bubbling, although slowly. I tried adding some yeast Energizer, raising the temperature to 72-74 and pitching some more yeast but the reading still isn't changing. Any ideas what I have going on?

I thought perhaps I added too much sugar in the beginning and maybe the alcohol content is killing off the yeast? I always add 11 pounds of sugar to my SP and Dragon Blood batches ( that usually results in starting measurement of 1.075-1.080) so I skip the initial S.G. reading...but if I accidentally messed up my math, I could have added more than that. I guess I'm grasping at straws at this point.

I'm tempted to just sorbate and sulphite since I'd be backsweetening it to 1.010 anyway but I don't know if that would work or if it would ruin the wine. I'm going to fortify the wine with rum anyway so I'm not too concerned about ABV. A taste test indicates that the wine is pretty darn good but....
A gal after my own heart! I have a lime Skeeter Pee waiting to be racked right now. Adding rum to fortify is an interesting concept. I will have to try that.

A gal after my own heart! I have a lime Skeeter Pee waiting to be racked right now. Adding rum to fortify is an interesting concept. I will have to try that.

I had some friends over last night so I grabbed a sample for them to try. Everybody loved it! My ratio of mint to lime to rum seems to have worked out perfectly 😊

Val gal question: You said you always add 11 pounds of sugar, yet the original SP receipe calls for 7 pounds. Is your 11 pounds for a double batch?

Also, I started a lime SP batch on 5/16 and today the SG was 1.022 with a yeasty/slightly musty smell/taste. Is this something you have experienced? Would this be the expected SG at this time, 24 days in? Also, can anyone else weigh in on this and tell me if I have a problem or not? It is still cloudy and when my racking canes come in tomorrow I will rack to the secondary. This is my first batch and I don't really know what to expect. HELP

Val gal question: You said you always add 11 pounds of sugar, yet the original SP receipe calls for 7 pounds. Is your 11 pounds for a double batch?

Also, I started a lime SP batch on 5/16 and today the SG was 1.022 with a yeasty/slightly musty smell/taste. Is this something you have experienced? Would this be the expected SG at this time, 24 days in? Also, can anyone else weigh in on this and tell me if I have a problem or not? It is still cloudy and when my racking canes come in tomorrow I will rack to the secondary. This is my first batch and I don't really know what to expect. HELP
i myself never use weight for sugar, i go by my hydrometer, as for smells and taste on other wines it is time that blends and softens your wines, they say SP is a quick wine, but i still bulk age mine from 5 months to a year, but that is hard to do if you don't already have a stash of wine,
Dawg

I go by the DB recipe which calls for about 20 cups of sugar but from experience, it takes about 22 cups to reach an SG around 1.075. Instead of measuring it all out, I go by pounds...it's 2 cups to a pound.

That seems like a pretty show ferment. This time, my ferment stalled at 1.008 at around the 3 week mark (in the past, the same recipe fermented to almost dry) and I couldn't restart it so I ended up sorbating and sulphiting it as I always sweeten back to 1.010 anyway. I was worried about whether that would affect the taste but it's delicious.

Last edited:

Yeasty is okay on the smell but I'm thinking musty isn't quite right. HOWEVER, that being said, lime bases can have a different odor and taste before you backsweeten them so I wouldn't get too concerned yet. As far as clearing, you won't see any until it's done fermenting.

Have you taken hydrometer readings regularly? I would check every few days to see if the reading is going down or if the ferment has stalled.

i myself never use weight for sugar, i go by my hydrometer, as for smells and taste on other wines it is time that blends and softens your wines, they say SP is a quick wine, but i still bulk age mine from 5 months to a year, but that is hard to do if you don't already have a stash of wine,
Dawg
[/Q
you might be smelling co2 gasses coming outta your wine, what yeast did you use?
Dawg
Lalvin EC-1118 Do I need to be concerned that the yeast has stalled given I am 24 days out? What do you think about the yeasty/musty smell?

I go by the DB recipe which calls for about 20 cups of sugar but from experience, it takes about 22 cups to reach an SG around 1.075. Instead of measuring it all out, I go by pounds...it's 2 cups to a pound.

That seems like a pretty show ferment. This time, my ferment stalled at 1.008 at around the 3 week mark (in the past, the same recipe fermented to almost dry) and I couldn't restart it so I ended up sorbating and sulphiting it as I always sweeten back to 1.010 anyway. I was worried about whether that would affect the taste but it's delicious.
You said you are going by the DB? I am talking about the SP which calls for 7 pounds sugar?

EC-1118-you should be good your ec-1118 is the go to yeast for restarting stuck frements, most of your smells and bubbles are probably cor, take hydrometer readings for 3 days in a row, if it stays the same, your ferment should be over just some time to degas
Dawg

Sal, do you have any experience with Skeeter Pee? If so, can you advise about my current dilemma: I am on Day #25 with no observable fermentation, with a SB of 1.022 x3 days. Could my ferment be stuck? Should I add more E-1118 OR rack into secondary OR ?? Your thoughts would be helpful, or the thoughts of anyone else out there with having had a similar issue.

Latest posts

Back