fermenting has stopped what next

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
fermenting has completely stopped.

1 gallon of blackberry wine.

campden tablet was added during primary fermentation
as well as acid blend and pectin enzyme.

i want to degass
i want to clear
i want to sweeten

what should be added and in what order......

thanks for the info.

The only thing you need to do for the next 6 months is nothing.

Let it sit undisturbed (with an airlock, of course) for 6 months. All the CO2 will be gone and the sediment will have settled out.

Then you can k-meta/sorbate and sweeten to taste.

Don't let it sit for six months. First you need to take a hydrometer reading to make sure that it is done fermenting, then rack it to a carboy, add another campden tablet, put an airlock on it and leave it sit for 3 months. After 3 months, rack again and add another campden tablet.

You really don't need to degass a gallon jug, it will degass on its' own when you rack. I normally let my wines age for at least 6 months before bottling.

To backsweeten, make sure you stabilize first (add another campden tablet and sorbate) then backsweeten. I would probably add 1/2 cup of sugar, leave it sit for a day and then taste to see if it is sweet enough for you. Once you have it where you want it, take a reading so you can backsweeten to this level the next time. Also, I usually backsweeten about a month before I am going to bottle.

by the way where does all the sediment come from, the yeast and sugar.
first time i racked there was about 3/4 of inch on the bottom.
now there is about 1/2 inch....

thanks.

Don't let it sit for six months. First you need to take a hydrometer reading to make sure that it is done fermenting, then rack it to a carboy, add another campden tablet, put an airlock on it and leave it sit for 3 months. After 3 months, rack again and add another campden tablet.

You really don't need to degass a gallon jug, it will degass on its' own when you rack. I normally let my wines age for at least 6 months before bottling.

To backsweeten, make sure you stabilize first (add another campden tablet and sorbate) then backsweeten. I would probably add 1/2 cup of sugar, leave it sit for a day and then taste to see if it is sweet enough for you. Once you have it where you want it, take a reading so you can backsweeten to this level the next time. Also, I usually backsweeten about a month before I am going to bottle.

So, you are saying to rack it and let it sit about 6 months...

Guess I was all wrong.

So, you are saying to rack it and let it sit about 6 months...

Guess I was all wrong.

I said to rack, add sulfite (campden) and then rack again in 3 months. My point is once fermentation is complete you need to sulfite it and rack and sulfite every three months.

by the way where does all the sediment come from, the yeast and sugar.
first time i racked there was about 3/4 of inch on the bottom.
now there is about 1/2 inch....

thanks.

Yes from the yeast and sugar and I would think there were some solids in your juice I won't think the juice was crystal clear or was it?

correct julie, it was not crystal clear, I didnt have the best press.
if you can call a hydraulic jack a press...lol

Well since your a super moderator, take a look at this. These people selling these kits , the ones minus fruit, should include this.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54334701386679/MakingWineAtHome.pdf

along with the link to this forum.

All ready I have figured out, I did not need acid blend with blackberries
I did not need the pectin enzyme with the juice. both i could have eliminated.
And if i wanted to kick start it, I could have added yeast energizer.

We learn, we learn.

Well since your a super moderator, take a look at this. These people selling these kits , the ones minus fruit, should include this.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54334701386679/MakingWineAtHome.pdf

along with the link to this forum.

All ready I have figured out, I did not need acid blend with blackberries
I did not need the pectin enzyme with the juice. both i could have eliminated.
And if i wanted to kick start it, I could have added yeast energizer.

We learn, we learn.

Yeast energizer and yeast nutrients are your friend. If you are making something besides a kit wine, you should use them religiously.

Always check more than one recipe for a wine. It gives you more options and something more to consider.

correct julie, it was not crystal clear, I didnt have the best press.
if you can call a hydraulic jack a press...lol

Lol, whatever works use it! Actually when juicing no matter what you use (I, not speaking of juicers cuz I don't have one so I don't know about them) you do get some pulp and that is not a bad thing.

Also, plus to what Robie says enzyme can be used with juice, it helps with clearing

Latest posts

Back