fermenting bungs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen these before, do you fill them with anything or do they just pop up when releasing gas?

I assume gas pressure pushes up a spring loaded valve to release gas, but I am not 100% I don't have one just saw a ad

If these are the mechanical type air locks, I read about them on another forum. They said they were good for bulk ageing because you dont have to worry about water levels, but harder to clean. And you cannot see action "bubbles"...

I have a number of these I use on plastic barrels. They are made of silicone and could be used in carboys also. The center top is fitted with a center piece holding it in place. The silicone flap touches the top at all times, but is flexible enough that as pressure builds it just slightly releases to let the gas out. You never see or hear them acting. I have had wine under them for two years before with no ill effects. I will probaly buy more, but they are more expensive than just an airlock, but you never need to worry about them going dry. They also wash and clean up extremely easily. I would have no reservations over getting them.

Back