Fermenting buckets add fresh grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pick up my 3 buckets &4 lugs of fresh Calif grapes yesterday. After the 2 hour car ride the buckets were fermenting by the time I got them home. Bucket said sulfites were added. Plan was to add a 1/2. Lug of grapes to each bucket. But with them fermenting I'm not sure. I Added wine yeast to the buckets. De-stemmed & Crushed the grapes, sulfites to 50 ppm. Waiting till later to drop yeast. So do I add some of the fresh grapes to be he buckets? Or ferment separately, then blend later. Guess I'm worried the wild ferment in the buckets will affect the flavor of the fresh grapes.

Some buckets already have yeast added and that gets the fermentation going before you get started and that may not be from wild yeast. What is the SG of the juice at this point? Safety would say to ferment them separately. There is probably not a high risk either way.

Thanks Rocky. The buckets came with a yeast packet so I doubt any was added to the bucket. The SG was 1.082 & fermenting. I'll mostly likely do as you suggested & ferment separately then blend later if desired. Roy

Latest posts

Back