Fermenting and topping up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halifaxwino

new wine enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have question about the primary stage, I'm 3 days in and my airlock has stopped bubbling is this normal? it was bubbling non stop for the second day. i can still see the wine itself bubbling still.

am i worrying for nothing!!!

About fermentation locks, i read one article where the person said you should leave the air lock off for the first few days during the primary fermentation process. is this true? my wine kit does not say to. it says either put the lid on loosely or put air lock on.

Now about topping up. if i find i need to should i if the kit advises me not to? if so will water dilute the wine?

My kit is California Connoisseur red bordailles. im running the temp at 23 degrees constant. also the S.G. was 1.080

any feed back welcomed. i apologize if these have been answered before

after writing this i took the airlock off and listened for bubbling which it is, and now the airlock is bubbling. i have no clue whats happening haha.

Last edited:
Visual signs of fermentation are notoriously poor. If you are concerned take another sg reading. It will be lower. Personally I would just leave it alone. That kit at that temp will probably be below 1.000 on day 7.

Steve

i took another reading just to see and the S.g was at 1.021 so something is definitely going on thanks for the response

just if i could get the answers for these questions that would be great. thanks

About fermentation locks, i read one article where the person said you should leave the air lock off for the first few days during the primary fermentation process. is this true? my wine kit does not say to. it says either put the lid on loosely or put air lock on.

Now about topping up. if i find i need to should i if the kit advises me not to? if so will water dilute the wine?

My kit is California Connoisseur red bordailles. im running the temp at 23 degrees constant. also the S.G. was 1.080 now day 3 S.G is 1.021

I dont like diluting with water ven though some do, I will either displace the volume with sanitized marbles or use a like wine. Do not top off till it is done fermenting and after adding the fining agent as that will take up a little space and you want rom to degas your wine. As for airlocks, some use them and even lock the lid down(I do this) so as though no bugs can get in there while some leave the lid jar and some dont even use a lid just cover it with cloth and an elastic around the side to keep the cloth from fallinginto the wine. I lock the lid down and ahve done so for 5 years now but open it up once or twice every day when making a wine with fruit in there to stir it up but if no fruit then I just open it up every 3 days just to give the yeast some 02 and have never had any problems at all.

Halifaxwino

It depends more on your primary fermenter than anything else. I use large 46 litre primaries for a standard 23 litre kit. The lids do not have a hole for an air-lock.

Other people use smaller (30 litre or less) primaries, and the lids often have a hole for a bung & air-lock. You need to put something in the hole. A bung & air-lock works.

While your wine is actively fermenting (and happily producing CO2 and SO2), there is no reason to be concerned about air accessing the wine. Once fermentation slows or stops, the wine should be moved to a carboy and properly protected from air.

Steve

Last edited:
thank you very much for the response, glad to hear about the air lock and what i can and can not do. i was worried i was doing something wrong. beginners worry i suppose. Thanks also for answering my question about topping up so my best bet is not to put anything in as im not familiar with similar wines. i will look for some marbles. wont be doing this till i have to though. i ain't jumping the gun lol just in case you think i am. :D

Back