fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetwilly

Junior
Reaction score
i recently acquired a few 3 gallon fermenters with lids from a local convience store that had deli jewish pickels in them washed them out with soap, bleach, oxiclean and to no avail the smell of deli pickels still comes through so i figured what the heck let me start a batch of welches grape juice and i had also bought raspberry syrup to flavor and back sweeten, all went well washed out the fermenter put it away , took it out today to start a experiment of cherry flavored wine and what do i smell? deli pickels. why dont you think that the pickel smell would be gone by now?

why dont you think that the pickle smell would be gone by now?
Some smells just get into the plastic and don't let go. I understand that root beer does the same thing.

I picked up some pails from my local ice cream shop Using a vanilla on for wine, a chocolate one for garden work, and an unknown (no real smell) one as a wine making cleaning bucket. Got a couple more but don't know what flavors they had held. I don't think there's really a smell in any of the ones that I got.

Steve

A strong solution of baking soda and warm water left to sit for a day or two can pull a lot of odors out of the plastic.

Pickel juice just gets in the plastic and is almost impossible to get the smell out.
Spring for a new fermentor

Sometimes the smell just wont go away but Ive never had a wine become flavored from the smell that was in a bucket Berr always seems to make a bucket smell after it has been used but my next batch never smells or tastes like th previous batch.

i recently acquired a few 3 gallon fermenters with lids from a local convience store that had deli jewish pickels in them washed them out with soap, bleach, oxiclean and to no avail the smell of deli pickels still comes through so i figured what the heck let me start a batch of welches grape juice and i had also bought raspberry syrup to flavor and back sweeten, all went well washed out the fermenter put it away , took it out today to start a experiment of cherry flavored wine and what do i smell? deli pickels. why dont you think that the pickel smell would be gone by now?

I know what I would be saying after finding that out but I couldn't post it. Wade and Tom would bring the "smack-down" on me. Let's just leave it at RATS!

I have found that a couple of days sitting in full sunlight works wonders on those residue smells.
Brad

Some smells just get into the plastic and don't let go. I understand that root beer does the same thing.

Anise ditto.

Yes, I made a batch of anise wine........

Luc

Last edited:
I got two 5-gallon cake icing buckets from the bakery at Wal-Mart. Nice buckets with rubber sealing gaskets in the lids. One, label says "Vanilla Icing", washed right up with no lingering smell. The other, label says "Buttery Vanilla Icing", has been soaking in an oxi-clean solution for a month, but to no avail. It still smells like vanilla cake icing.

Wade, I'm glad to hear it won't affect the flavor of the wine. That's what is really important.

Latest posts

Back